Beef stew has a special place in most childhood memories. Now it’s time to pass on this scrumptious tradition to your little ones with this easy to prepare crock pot meal that can be thrown together in the morning before heading off for some winter fun with the kiddos. Imagine the family walking through the door and taking in the yummy aroma of homemade beef stew. They will think you have been slaving away in the kitchen all day, but little do they know, the crock pot has done all the hard work (yay crock pot!).
2 pounds Chuck Meat, cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes
1/4 cup flour
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup red wine
1 cup beef stock
2 bay leaves
1 tablespoon fresh thyme, minced
2 potatoes peeled and cubed into one inch cubes
2 stalks celery, sliced
2 carrots, peeled and sliced
1 large onion, chopped into cubes
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
1 15-ounce can unsalted diced tomatoes
1. Place the cubed meat and flour and in Ziploc bag, seal and shake until the pieces are fully coated with flour.
2. Heat 2 tbsp of olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium high heat and sear the pieces of meat for 4 minutes until all sides are nicely brown.
3. Remove the meat from the pan and place in the crock pot.
4. Add the red wine and stock to the sauté pan and bring to a boil for one minute, scraping off the bits of meat that have caramelized in the pan with a wooden spoon.
5. Add the reduced liquid to the crock pot along with the remaining ingredients and combine.
6. Cook on low for 6-8 hours. Serve.