You know it’s called The Big D and that it’s home to the Cowboys, but there are plenty of fun facts about Dallas and the surrounding metroplex we bet will surprise you! From being home to the world’s tallest cowboy to actually inventing the frozen margarita, here are 15 fun facts about Dallas you might not know.
1. The frozen margarita was invented in Dallas.
2. 7-11 opened its first location in Dallas and is still headquartered here today.
3. The biggest Christmas tree in the country can be found inside the Galleria Mall.
4. The largest model train exhibit in the country is on permanent display in the lobby of Dallas’ Children’s Medical Center
5. Barney, the purple dinosaur every parent loved to hate was filmed in Dallas. The show is also where Selena Gomez and Demi Lovato got their first start.
6. Dallas was home to the infamous Bonnie and Clyde.
7. The term “Super Bowl” was coined by Dallas resident and AFL founder Lamar Hunt.
8. The Dallas Public Library displays one of the original copies of the Declaration of Independence.
9. Famous musicians from DFW include Steve Miller, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Erykah Badu, Nora Jones, ZZ Top bassist Dusty Hill, The Chicks, Stephen Stills, Usher and Meat Loaf.
10. The Texas State Fair's Big Tex is the tallest cowboy in the world.
11. You can still catch a movie at the Texas Theater, which was where Lee Harvey Oswald was first arrested for shooting police officer J.D. Tippitt.
12. JFK’s last public speech was made in Fort Worth.
1`3. German Chocolate Cake isn’t German. The recipe was first printed in the Dallas Morning Star in the ‘50s.
14. Years before his famous shoot-out with Wyatt Earp at the O.K. Corral, Doc Holliday was a practicing dentist in Dallas.
15. Dallas is the only major metropolitan area in the country that isn’t near a body of water.