Nothing says “Yum” on the tongue like a hearty scoop of pasta packed with different textures and flavors. Filled with delicious spring veggies like broccoli, peas, carrots and more, this Pasta Primavera from PDXfoodlove is easy to recreate or remaster to any particular taste bud. Serve this dish either hot or cold–it’ll be a favorite either way.
1/2 lb pasta
3-5 large garlic cloves, minced
half a large white onion or one shallot, diced
1 c frozen pea and carrot mix
2 c of diced broccoli (very small chop – measure the cup AFTER chopping)
1/2 c of heavy cream
1/2 to 1 c chicken or vegetable broth
4 tbsp butter
1/2 c grated Parmesan cheese
1 tbsp fresh thyme (can be substituted)
1. Start by getting the pasta cooking according to the package directions.
2. While it’s boiling, heat a pad of butter in your largest skillet and sauté the onions until translucent. Add the broccoli, garlic, peas and carrots and bring the mixture back up to temperature.
3. Add in the butter and the chicken stock to the skillet and bring to a simmer, then stir in the cream.
4. Season with salt and pepper. Keep the mixture at a simmer and reduce the liquid by about half, until it coats the back of a spoon. You can add more broth or cream if you think you need it.
5. Add in the Parmesan as you stir, and then finally add the pasta in the pan and toss to coat. Sprinkle with extra pepper and fresh herbs before serving.
Do your kids love pasta? Will you try making this dish?
Few people can say they boast a passion for food like Rebekah at PDXfoodlove. Whether it’s reading about food, thinking about food, reading about food, Rebekah can never satiate her hunger for all things food. A graphic designer and outdoor enthusiast by day, once in the kitchen, Rebekah dons her apron and whips up seasonal dishes that boast some serious homey comfort. Check out her food blog, PDXfoodlove, for more of her recipes (and her awesome photography!).
Recipe and photo courtesy of Rebekah at PDXfoodlove