You can make these homemade fish sticks in about as much time as it takes to remove the pre-packaged variety from the box and stick them in the oven. The total cooking time is 40 minutes, and it is definitely worth it. We’ve scaled down the recipe to be easy on your little one’s palette. So, if you’d rather up the zestyness, feel free to add lemon pepper, paprika, garlic powder, or any of your other favorite spices.
Canola oil cooking spray
1 cup whole-wheat dry breadcrumbs, (see Shopping Tip) or 1/2 cup plain dry breadcrumbs
1 cup whole-grain cereal flakes
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 large egg whites, beaten
1 pound tilapia fillets, cut into 1/2-by-3-inch strips
1. Preheat oven to 450°F. Set a wire rack on a baking sheet; coat with cooking spray.
2. Place breadcrumbs, cereal flakes, and salt in a food processor or blender and process until finely ground. Transfer to a shallow dish.
3. Place flour in a second shallow dish and egg whites in a third shallow dish.
4. Dredge each strip of fish in the flour, dip it in the egg and then coat all sides with the breadcrumb mixture. Place on the prepared rack.
5. Coat both sides of the breaded fish with cooking spray.
6. Bake until the fish is cooked through and the breading is golden brown and crisp, about 10 minutes.
Recipe adapted from Moms Who Think