These cookies sound too good to be true–four ingredients? But we’re completely serious when we say that Katie from Mom’s Kitchen Handbook has these little treats down to a science. It takes less than five minutes to mix the ingredients and another five to roll the dough into balls, pressed, and into the oven; it’s that easy! You’ll love these even more when your kids get in on the action and help with the final prep. Give them a fork and let them go to town making the impressions on the dough. Serve up a plate of these little guys with a glass of milk and you listen for the sweet symphony of crunching cookies.
1 c unsweetened creamy peanut butter
1 c firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 c semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips or finely chopped chocolate
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheet with parchment paper, silpats, or coat with non-stick cooking spray.
2. In a medium bowl, put the peanut butter, brown sugar, and egg. Use a rubber spatula to mash and stir the ingredients into a smooth batter. Add the chocolate, and stir again until evenly distributed.
3. Pinch up a tablespoon of dough and roll in the palms of your hands into a smooth ball. Cover each baking sheet with 12 balls. Press a fork firmly into the dough, first in one direction, and then the opposite direction. If the dough crumbles a bit, just patch it back together.
4. Bake until the cookies brown slightly and you start to see a hint of a darker rim around the cookie, 10 to 12 minutes.
5. Remove from oven and cool. Store in an air-tight container.
Makes 2 dozen
Inspired by Real Simple magazine’s Peanut Butter Cookies
photo and recipe courtesy of Katie of Mom’s Kitchen Handbook
Katie is the brains behind Mom’s Kitchen Handbook, which deliciously illustrates her approach to feeding a family: Cook fresh, seasonal food, make room for a little decadence, and have fun doing it. It’s not easy in a culture that glorifies junkie foods while marketing dieting at every turn. She brings her expertise as a registered dietitian and a food writer to the table and aims to raise her kids with adventuruous appetites and wholesome attitudes towards food.