Lentil quesadillas might sound like something your kids would turn their noses up at, but stay with us—this recipe from Food Faith Fitness is delicious. The lentils are a great source of protein, which helps keep you full for longer. Since the cooked lentils are pureed and mixed with salsa, they taste like refried beans, and picky eaters will be none the wiser.
1 1/2 cups water
1/2 cup green lentils
1/2 cup salsa, divided
1/8 tsp salt*
Olive oil spray
8 extra-large white corn tortillas (6 inches)
1/2 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
1 1/3 cups Mexican blend cheese (5 oz)
Sour cream (for serving, optional)
Guacamole (for serving, optional)
1. Rinse the lentils and stir together the water and lentils in a medium pot and bring to a boil.
2. Once boiling, turn the heat to medium-low, cover and cook until tender, about 15-20 minutes. Drain and add to a food processor.
3. Add 1/4 cup of the salsa and salt into the food processor and pulse until combined and smooth, but leaving some lentils intact for texture.
4. Preheat your grill to medium heat.
5. Spray one side of each tortilla with the olive oil spray and sprinkle with salt. Place 4 tortillas, un-sprayed side up, onto a baking pan. Spread a slightly heaping 1/4 cup of the lentil puree all over the tortilla, covering it completely.
6. Then, spread 1 Tbsp of salsa on each of the tortillas. After that, divide the cilantro and, finally, the cheese between each tortilla. Cover with the remaining tortillas, so the sprayed side is facing up towards you.
7. Gently slide the tortillas on the grill, cover and cook for 3-4 minutes. Gently flip and cook and additional 3-4 minutes. If some of your topping come out after flipping, just gently press them in.
8. Slice and devour immediately with extra salsa, guacamole and sour cream if you choose!
*Make sure you don’t add the salt into the lentils while they are cooking, as this makes lentils tough.