Sure you can go buy a bag of candy corn at the store, but what’s the fun in that? Get your family into the Halloween spirit by making your very own candy corn. Your kids will love this recipe because not only does it produce a super sweet result, but they can get involved in the candy-making process as well by helping to shape the candy into triangles, or whatever creatively fun shape they desire! Happy Halloween!
1 cup sugar
2/3 cup white corn syrup
1/3 cup butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
several drops food coloring (optional)
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup powdered milk
1. Combine sugar, white corn syrup and butter in pan, bring to boil stirring CONSTANTLY.
2. Turn heat low and boil 5 minutes. Stir occasionally.
3. Remove from heat and add vanilla and several drops food coloring (optional).
4. Meanwhile, combine powdered sugar, salt and powdered milk. Add all at once to mixture in pan.
5. Stir until cool enough to handle. Knead until stiff enough to hold its shape. Shape into triangles, or any shape desired and place on a parchment paper.
6. Let sit until hard.
This is a recipe from our friend Chef Scott Davis, The Culinary Dude who teaches awesome cooking classes to families, parents and kids in Los Altos, Sacramento, Napa, Healdsburg, Los Angeles, Sausalito and San Francisco. For more information email Scott Davis or visit www.TheCulinaryDudeonTour.com or www.TheCulinaryDude.com for more details.