Sure, Ariel dreamed of ditching her fishtail for some human feet, but most of us born on land have wished we could instead be part of her undersea world. Well, becoming a mermaid is within the grasp of anyone with an ocean-sized imagination. Just follow these five simple steps and you’ll be king or queen of the sea in no time.
1. Find a fin. Sure you could hunt down a wicked sea witch and bargain for the real thing, but may we suggest a few alternatives? A pair of adult-sized leggings make a sweet tail if you stick two kid-sized legs inside.
2. Eat like a mermaid. Goldfish crackers, seaweed snacks and “sea” cucumbers are on the menu. Check out these awesome mermaid snacks.
3. Comb your hair with a fork. Because why not?
4. Practice your mermaid kick. Keep both legs stuck together while you flap and wriggle from one end of the pool to the other.
5. Make a shell necklace. Gather small shells from the beach (or your local bead store) and string up a creation worthy of sea maiden.
Do you have any other ideas on how to earn your mermaid fins? Let us know in the comments below!
Photo and copy by Erin Feher