This recipe for red velvet cake is moist, the icing is to die-for and the dark red hue is fun and festive. Give this southern treat a try and share the love in the comment section below to let us know how your red velvet cake turned out!
For the Cake:
2 sticks unsalted butter
3 ¼ cups flour
½ cup chocolate powder
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
2 cups light brown sugar
2 tablespoons red food coloring
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 large eggs
1 ½ cup buttermilk
For the Pink Frosting:
1 lb cream cheese, softened at room temperature
2 sticks unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 teaspoons red food coloring
4 cups powdered sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Grease two round cake pans.
3. Shift flour, chocolate powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
4. Using a stand or hand mixer, cream butter, brown sugar, food coloring and vanilla together until well mixed.
5. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
6. Alternate between adding the flour mixture and buttermilk until just combined.
7. Pour batter equally into the two cake pans.
8. Bake until a toothpick comes out of the cake cleanly.
1. Using a stand or hand mixer, cream together the cream cheese, butter, vanilla and food coloring together.
2. Sift in the powdered sugar.
1. Gently tap the cakes out of the cake pans.
2. Place cake on a large plate or platter.
3. Cover with frosting.
4. Place the second cake on top of the other cake.
5. Cover with frosting.
6. Decorate the cake with any kind of red or pink sprinkles in the shape of hearts.
Photo Credit stylehive.com