While most of us enjoy a fancy meal out, the reality of booking a sitter, making reservations, dinning with the masses and paying inflated Valentine’s Day menu prices is a task better left to the sans baby couples. What is a plan better suited for the practical, yet still romantic parents? Try putting the kiddos to bed early and then make a special dinner for you and your sweetie to enjoy at your very own deuce top. With a little planning, you can prepare an awesome dinner that might just rival your fav restaurants. This recipe for roasted beet soup will get you in the mood for Valentine’s Day and is the perfect starter for the main course: Pomegranate Duck.
4 medium sized red beets
2 teaspoons unsalted butter
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 leek (the white part) diced
1 small onion, diced
1 celery stock, diced
¼ teaspoon ginger
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
2 cups chicken stock
1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
¼ cup heavy cream
1. Heat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Wrap beet in foil and roast for one hour.
3. Once beets have cooled, peel and cut into ½ inch pieces.
4. In a large pot, sauté the butter and olive oil with the leek, onion, celery, ginger, cinnamon and beets for about five minutes.
5. Add the chicken stock.
6. Cover the pot and simmer for 20 minutes.
7. Puree the soup in the blender in batches.
8. Mix in the heavy cream.
9. Garnish with thyme formed into a heart shape.
Photo Credit cheekykitchen.com