Who say LA doesn’t have seasons? Summer can be sweltering (and sometimes much of fall, too), but winter usually brings sporadic rainy days and, sure, the occasional 70s-plus-and-sunny forecast. While it may not exactly be beach weather, there are still plenty of better-in-winter outdoor and indoor activities to keep LA kids busy all season. Read on for 39 ideas to have the best LA winter ever.
1. We never get to see snow, and this winter is already amazingly white in the mountains, so bundle up baby and take advantage of winter’s bounty at our local snowy wonderlands.
2. But on warm, dry days put that sled to another use!
3. Just because we live in California, doesn’t mean we can’t enjoy some winter sports! Take a spin at one of LA's seasonal ice rinks. If you're a Westsider, there's Ice Santa Monica and Westfield Century City's rink. A couple other options for Angelenos? The Bai Holiday Ice Rink, located in Downtown's Pershing Square, and Glendale's Holiday on Ice.
4. Sunny and mid-70s? Get outdoors and take a hike.
5. Another ideal outing on sunny, mild days in LA: A visit to the LA Zoo.
6. Soups on! Nothing like 50 degree weather and a bowl of warm goodness.
8. Your next rainy day activity: Get creative and enjoy some good, messy fun at Cr8Space.
9. Experience an unforgettable meal at LA's top themed restaurants.
10. Got a case of cabin fever? When it's too cold or too dark for the playground, LA's best indoor play spaces are like a shining beacon on a hill. Grab a coffee, kick back and watch while the kids run out the ya-yas.
11. Thar’ she blows! Come Jan., it's officially whale-watching season Jan. Go catch a boat and watch the migration route for whales who are heading south down the coast to Baja.
12. Enjoy some free kid-friendly fun at our favorite LA malls.
13. Rev your engines and go-go-go to The Petersen Automotive Museum.
14. Holidays got you feeling less than zen? Practice your child pose, with child in tow.
15. Stay indoors to make something crafty and creative.
16. Sneak off to Palm Springs, where it’s always a little warmer.
17. Exercise those little minds (and maybe learn a thing or two) at some engaging kid’s museums.
18. LA is never so clear as after a rain. These observation decks and lookouts offer sweeping views of the city.
19. Have you visited the JANM? It’s an amazing little museum in Little Tokyo well worth a visit.
20. Nervous about taking the tykes skiing for the first time? Fret not. We’ve got 5 tips to get your kids snow plowing down the mountain in no time.
21. Now that you’re ready to ski, get thee to the mountain for some powdery fun.
22. Take a ferry ride to visit LA's mediterranean-style getaway in the winter.
23. Curl up with a good book — one you checked out of one of our favorite libraries for kids.
24. Follow the band: determine which of these incredible local bands is your family’s favorite, and then see when they’re playing a show.
25. Or if a rainy day forces you indoors unexpectedly, we love the retro fun of this roller rink.
26. Visit of of LA's most iconic restaurants with the whole family.
27. Have you discovered the secret Garden of Oz? Here’s how to find it…
28. Watt’s Towers is a spectacular spot that far too many Angelenos have never visited. Take the kids, then challenge them to come up with their own recycled art creation at home.
29. When the sun peeks out, zip over to one of our favorite playgrounds.
30. Baaaaaa! Go see some goats at the goat farm.
31. It’s extra chilly in the hoosegow, but the kids won’t mind. Take them to explore the Police Museum of Los Angeles.
32. Become a rocket scientist. Or at least learn how they think and what they do for free.
33. Stop by one of these family-friendly LA breweries for cornhole, ping-pong and more.
34. It’s a date! Make a lunch date with your toddler someplace where they will lick the plate clean (maybe literally).
35. Do good! There are loads of local volunteer organizations that have perfect helping opportunities for kids.
36. Enjoy an almost-too-cute-too-eat treat at one of LA's most Insta-worthy dessert spots.
37. Speaking of Instagram, upgrade your feed with a kiddie photoshoot at any of these artsy, only-in-LA walls.
38. Hit up Smorgasburg LA to eat and drink your way through a Sunday.
39. Visit the historic El Capitan Theater for Tiny Tot Tuesdays.