2011 has been an exciting and rewarding year at Red Tricycle. Our success and growth is directly correlated to you — our readers whose unwavering loyalty and support make us feel like the luckiest mamas in the world! As a way to reflect on the awesomeness of this past year, we’ve made a list of the top stories of 2011. So thanks wonderful Red Tricycle readers, we couldn’t have done it without you. And, stay tuned because we’ve got a lot more fun in store for 2012. From our family to yours, happy new year!
1. Many LA parents want to escape the City of Angels for the weekend with the kids, which is why our story on where to go for a quick day trip was one of the most popular of the year.
2. Take a break from your busy schedule to break out the checkered blanket and have a picnic.
3. What kid doesn’t fantasize about being Dr. Doolittle? At least they can meet some of their favorite animals close up.
4. Encourage your little Picassos to explore their creative side by participating in an art class.
5. Sometimes letting the kiddos run around outside is the best way to let off some of the jitters (any time of year). Take them to some fun local playgrounds and watch them tire themselves out.
6. Whether you fold it or eat it crust first, sometimes a gooey slice of pizza just hits the spot.
7. Instead of throwing a party at the house, many of you took our advice and threw awesome birthday parties at some cool local venues.
8. Looking for ways to cool off in the summer heat? Try splashing around in a swimming hole.
9. Any time is a great time to visit the happiest place on Earth. That’s why we put together an awesome insider’s guide full of tips and tricks for making the most out of your vacation to Disneyland.
10. Burning Man is generally thought of as an adult-only event, but to the surprise of many (including a few of us at Red Tricycle), lots of kids enjoy this annual pilgrimage to Black Rock City. So lower those eyebrows, close the jaws, and read on to see how Burner mamas and dads enjoy this event with kids in tow.
11. Those of you who take your Halloween seriously took our advice and found the perfect pumpkin this year.
12. Your kids were ready and looking stylish with their cool kids backpacks.
13. Just because you have kids doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy a little fine dining with the whole fam.
14. Find a good read at a local bookstore and spend the day relaxing.
15. For those families who want an adventure without leaving town, check out all the cool things to do at this fun park right in your backyard.
16. When small portions are a must for your family, grab a bite to eat at a local Dim Sum restaurant.
17. Perfect for your kiddo’s awesome new backpack, many of you also picked up a stylish lunchbox to make sure your little ones were well fed throughout the day.
18. There are few things that got LA families in the holiday spirit more this year than a festive ride aboard the Christmas Tree Train.
19. Shopping for toys can be a lot harder than it looks. Luckily, we found a bunch of local toy shops that have everything for your kids.
20. Finally, a museum that encourages kids to touch everything! Get hands on at this cool museum.
21. Got growing tots? Try reselling some of their clothing and share your gently used items with other families who might need them.
22. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, but if you get the breakfast craving during the day, try a stack of delicious pancakes.
23. Sometimes city life just gets a little too hectic. That’s when it’s the perfect time to escape to a working farm.
24. We hope everyone enjoyed this past holiday season. To get in the spirit of the holidays, many of you may have taken the kids out to marvel at some festive light displays.
25. Summer heat got you beat? Cool off with a sweet treat.
As always, we love to hear feedback from our readers so if you have a tip about a new local business, your favorite hidden park, or merely, want to let us know what you’d like to hear more of in 2012 then shoot us an email to tips (at) redtri.com. Ride on!
Photo credit: Kate C. via Flickr.