Pizza can get old real quick. For a welcome change of pace make these calzones courtesy of Melanie of Keep It Simple & Fun. The shape and size of the calzones make them super transportable and act like like pita pockets filled with whatever “toppings” you like. Great for picnics, day trips, or whenever you need a bite on-the-go, your little chefs can even get in on the prep and fill their calzone with the toppings of their choice. For a tasty addition: heat up some marinara sauce and practice your dunking skills.
1/2 c chopped red pepper
1/2 c chopped green pepper
1 c diced mushrooms
pre-made frozen meatballs (defrosted)
1/4 c chopped onion
1 1/2 c mozzarella (fresh or shredded)
Olive Oil with Italian Seasoning
1. Roll out the dough and cut it in half.
2. Add half of the ingredients to both of the rolled out dough pieces.
3. Fold the dough in half then pinch all around to close the seam.
4. Brush the olive oil mixture over the calzones.
5. Bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees for about 40 minutes or until golden brown.