Spook your little goblin the fun and healthy way this Halloween with this recipe from Veggies Don’t Bite! The combination of crispy polenta, salsa, beans and dairy free cheese will get them into the eating spirit.
Makes: 15 Mummy bites
1 sleeve of polenta (18 ounces)
6 slices white dairy free cheese
½ cup fresh salsa, or jarred
1 can (15 ounces) black beans (you will have extra to serve on the side)
Guacamole (optional as a side)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Slice polenta into ¼ inch rounds (should make 15 slices), place on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 35 minutes, flipping at 20 minutes.
3. Meanwhile cut cheese slices into ¼ inch strips, then cut those strips in half so they are about 2 inches long. Rinse black beans.
4. When polenta slices are done, take out of the oven. Top with about ½ tablespoon salsa, place black beans for the eyes. Then cover with cheese slices back and forth to form mummy strips.
5. Place back in the oven and bake for another 10 minutes. Serve and watch little faces light up with excitement! For a complete meal, serve with the extra black beans and guacamole or diced avocado on the side.
Notes from the Chef:
I used Follow Your Heart dairy free cheese on these, it melted great. You can use any salsa and beans you like, but I had good success with my fresh salsa recipe and black beans.
Tips to prep ahead: Make salsa and guacamole.
Baby/kid food idea: Great for toddlers and kids as is! Can cut polenta in small pieces after baking and serve to older baby with black beans. For younger baby blend black beans with avocado.
What do you think of this recipe? Do your kids love Halloween-themed food?
Sophia DeSantis is the author of Veggies Don’t Bite, a vegan, gluten free and refined sugar free food blog targeted to all types of eaters. She is the mom of two beautiful boys and wife to an amazing husband. Her and her family live a vegan, gluten free and refined sugar free life 90% of the time because she believes that the stress of having to be perfect shouldn’t overpower the benefits that their healthy lifestyle brings. Through her website, she hopes to reach anybody interested in making a positive health change in their life.