Can’t get out of town for a warm weather escape this Winter Break? No problem! The city doesn’t stop just because school’s out. With these irresistible options for camps and activities, you and your kids will be cool with sticking around for an awesome stay-cation.
photo: courtesy of Mohr’s Explorers
1. Design and sew something for spring, visit Mood fabrics (where all the best designers shop) and learn to walk the runway with a professional model at The Fashion Class. Feb. 16-20, 9 a.m.-5 p.m., 21 West 39th St., 4th Fl., Midtown, ages 6-12, $725.
2. Build snow sculptures and forts, play wilderness hide-and-seek and other outdoor games with Mohr’s Explorers. Feb. 16-20, 9 a.m.-1 p.m., SE corner of 81st St. and Central Park West, Upper West Side, ages 5-10, $85/day or $400/5 days.
3. Visit some of NYC’s best ice skating rinks including Central Park, South Street Seaport and Prospect Park.
4. Discover the winter survival strategies of Prospect Park wildlife and play some nature games with the Prospect Park Audubon Center. Feb. 16-20, 12 p.m.-3 p.m., free. Bad weather? Shuffle through the snow to Lefferts Historic House 1 p.m.-3 p.m. (also Feb 16-20) and learn to play Nine-Man Morris, a strategy board game invented during the Roman Empire, $3 suggested donation.
5. Learn to manipulate Minecraft code or print in 3D at Pixel Academy. Feb. 16-20, 9 a.m.-3 p.m., with extended day options,163 Pacific St., Cobble Hill, ages 7-12, $680.
photo: Richard Termine
6. Build a diorama with miniature rooms inspired by the Helena Rubinstein: Beauty Is Power exhibit at the Jewish Museum. Feb. 17, 1 p.m.-4 p.m., 1109 Fifth Ave., Upper East Side, $15/adult, free for kids under 18.
7. Spend a day at Brooklyn Robot Foundry in Manhattan making robot crocodiles, submarines, lighthouses and more. Feb. 16-20, 9 a.m.-3 p.m., 528 Canal St, TriBeCa, ages K-4th graders, $170/day.
8. Combine gymnastics, art, music, and dance at LIC Kids. Feb 16-20, 9 a.m.-6 p.m., with half day sessions available, 5-02 50th Ave., LIC, ages 2 and older, $70-$125/day depending on child’s age and schedule.
9. Unwind and warm up with one of our favorite cups of hot cocoa on offer in NYC, including a must-try cup served in a chocolate dipped waffle cone.
10. Engage in dramatic play, explore dance and movement and create artwork in the Aladdin-themed drama and dance camp at Treasure Trunk Theatre. Feb. 16-20, 9 a.m.-12 p.m. (optional extended hours for additional fee), Xtend Barre Studios, 147 Remsen St., 2nd Fl., Brooklyn Heights, ages 3-7, $70/day, $375/week.
11. Dust off your toboggan and head to one NYC’s best sledding hills for a thrill.
photo courtesy of Homage Brooklyn
12. Spend five days skateboarding at Homage Skateboard Academy, with games, arts and crafts and educational clinics all included. Feb. 16-20, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. with half day and extended day options, 615 Degraw St., Boerum Hill, ages 7-14, $400.
13. Join the Staten Island Museum Curator of Natural Science, Will Lenihan, for a fun family hike through a Staten Island park. Feb. 19, 11 a.m.-12:30 p.m., 298 Satterlee St., Staten Island, all ages, free.
14. Learn claymation, pixelation, cutout animation and more at a filmmaking camp created by The Good School. Feb. 16-20, 9:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m. with extended day options, PS 89, 201 Warren St., TriBeCa, ages K-9th grades, $650.
15. Take a culinary tour of cheese, spices, and salts from around the world with tastings, hands-on cooking and crafting at Freshmade NYC, Feb. 17, 18, and 19, 12 p.m.-3 p.m., 636 Broadway, 5th Fl., ages 5 and older, $75/day, $200/3 days.
Photo: Guggenheim Museum
16.Explore works of art and hone new artistic techniques at the Guggenheim’s 5-day vacation camp. Feb. 16-20, 9:30 a.m.-4 p.m., 5th Ave., btw. 88th & 89th, Upper East Side, ages 8-11, $500 ($400 for members), snacks and materials included.
17. Speak, sing and play in Spanish at Juguemos a Cantar. Feb. 16-20, 9 a.m.-3 p.m. with half day and extended day options, 463 6th Ave., Park Slope, ages 4-8, $85/day.
18. See the family matinee performance of Keith Michael’s The Alice-in-Wonderland Follies. Feb. 21 at 2 p.m., 219 W 19th St., ages 3 and older, $15/child, $30/adult.
19. Experiment with equilibrium, make a parachute, meet scientists and more at the Intrepid Museum during Kids Week. Feb. 16-20, 10 a.m.-5 p.m., 46th St. at 12th Ave., Midtown, all ages, free with $12-24 admission fee, children under 3 free.
20. Dissect a pinball table, press metal, or witness the donut making process with Science Teacher Sarah. Feb. 16-20, 9 a.m.-3 p.m., 112 W 14th St., Buzzer 5, West Village, ages K-5th grades, $90/day or $400/week with snacks, transportation and prizes included.
How will your kids stay busy this Winter Break?