When we say orange chicken, there’s one place that always comes to mind (it rhymes with Randa Rexress). Maybe you’ve heard of it? Our kids certainly have. With this recipe from Brown Thumb Mama, you can bring the magic of our favorite orange chicken recipe right to your home…minus the plastic plates and long lines.
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 tbsp. vegetable oil
1/2 cup orange juice
zest of 1 orange
3 tbsp. oyster sauce
2 tbsp. honey
2 tsp. minced ginger
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes, optional
1. Cube the chicken into bite-sized pieces.
2. Heat the vegetable oil in a large pan until shimmering. Add half of the chicken and cook until nicely browned.
3. Take the first half out and and set it on a towel while you cook the second half.
4. Mix the orange juice, orange zest, oyster sauce, honey, ginger, and red pepper flakes in a measuring cup. Don’t worry if the honey stays clumpy; it will melt in the pan.
5. Remove the second half of the chicken and blot the excess oil from the pan with a paper towel. Leave the crunchy brown bits.
6. Pour the sauce into the pan and scrape up the crunchy brown bits. Let the sauce thicken (you’ll know it’s perfect when your spatula leaves a little blank trail behind it).
7. Toss in the chicken and heat it through.
Recipe and photo courtesy of Brown Thumb Mama