Alexa of Simple Roots Wellness (and mom to three girls) knows that creating healthy alternatives to favorite foods is a must. She offers up this recipe for pizza stuffed peppers that features all of the great flavors of pizza without the unhealthy components. Scroll down for the low down on how to make this dinnertime eat and then check out Simple Roots Wellness for more great meal inspiration.
1 Tbsp coconut oil (butter)
1 yellow onion
2-3 cloves, garlic minced
2 cups mushrooms, chopped (optional)
1 lb ground beef
1 lb Italian sausage
2 tomatoes, peeled and chopped
1 cup tomato sauce
2 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried basil
Salt & pepper, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Chop onion and mushrooms.
3. Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Once hot add onion and mushrooms. Saute until tender.
Add garlic and saute until fragrant or 1-2 minutes. Remove from pan and set-aside.
4. In same skillet cook beef and sausage until done. Remove and place in bowl with onion and mushroom mixture.
5. Add peeled and chopped tomatoes, tomato sauce and spices. Mix thoroughly. Prepare peppers but washing, cutting top off and removing seeds.
6. Fill peppers with meat and onion mixture and place in oven.
7. Bake for 30 minutes, remove and add mozzarella cheese continue baking 10-15 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly. Remove and enjoy!
This recipe and photo come courtesy of Alexa over at Simple Roots Wellness. Alexa, a mom of three, blogs about healthy versions of recipes you know and love. Check out Healthy Roots Wellness to find more great recipes for your family.