It sure is beginning to look (and feel) a lot like winter these days. What, with the days getting shorter, the weather getting colder, and that summer tan you worked so hard on is pretty much faded away. Instead of lounging around these next few weeks, try getting out with your kiddos and trying some fun winter activities around Portland. We’ve thrown together a list of 7 things that you can do with your little ones without having to venture too far from home.
1. Try catching a flick in a historic theater and then grabbing a bite to eat at any of the local eateries in St. John’s Neighborhood.
2. Going swimming in this weather sounds rather unappealing, so why not go for a dip in a nice heated indoor pool. Best of all? No sunscreen required!
3. Pancakes. They’re good for breakfast, lunch and dinner, so when your kids have a hankering for some fluffy golden flapjacks, check out some of these local favorites.
4. Set ’em up and knock ’em down with a game or two of bowling–a favorite Portland pastime and a great way to spend some time with the fam.
5. Yes, Portlanders LOVE their coffee, but try sipping on something more savory–a spot of tea, perhaps–that both you and your kids can enjoy.
6. Grab some time on the wall with a little indoor rock climbing.
7. Get a bird’s eve view of Portland forests and explore a logging locomotive at the super hands-on World Forestry Center.