Portland International Airport (commonly known as PDX) is often voted as “America’s Best Airport”, and with this helpful list, you’ll quickly see why! Not only is PDX pleasant to spend time in (we’re not kidding), there are a host of family-friendly amenities that will ensure your trip with the littles in tow is meltdown-free. Reading is believing so read on for our top 10 tips for navigating PDX with your tiny travelers.
1. Unload the entire fam in a flash with Gold Key Valet: just pull up to the valet sign at the terminal and the staff will park your car for you! Optional services include car washes and detail services. Or, go green and take the MAX train to the airport – the red rail line will drop you off right at the door.
2. Utilize the free WiFi: we all know that the best distraction can be a favorite movie or video game, which is easier than ever to download, stream and play through free WiFi throughout PDX.
3. Hit the playground: located in Concourse C, the playground can be accessed by all ticketed passengers in any concourse. Let your rugrats run rampant on the padded surface, hit the slides and play with puzzles. With excess energy burned prior to boarding, everyone will be primed for an in-flight nap.
4. Did someone say spa? Located conveniently near the playground in Concourse C is the Dragontree Spa. Grab a massage or foot soak while the kids blow off steam, and you’ll be rejuvenated and rested for the rest of the trip.
5. Primed to pump – no problem! Secure and private lactation rooms are located in both concourses. In addition, the PDX Conference Center restrooms on the second floor offer extra space or a backup option without needing to pass through security.
6. Change diapers with ease: both men’s and women’s restrooms provide changing tables.
7. Keep your curious cutie in your sight during the potty break: both concourses offer family restrooms, which are invaluable when traveling with a giddy globetrotter.
8. Stop for a snack: with a host of restaurant choices featuring Northwest cuisine, even a pint-sized picky eater will find something delicious. Best of all, PDX vendors cannot charge more than their off-site prices, meaning you can nourish the crew without breaking the bank. Plus, no sales tax!
9. Pop in to Powell’s: Portland’s favorite bookstore has a PDX shop with an expansive children’s book section, along with toys, coloring books and crafts sure to entertain for that long leg of travel.
10. Relax to live music: soothe a wary infant to sleep with the help of local musicians stationed near security checkpoints. Live performances vary from jazz to classical to contemporary.
What’s your favorite family-friendly feature at Portland International Airport? Tell us in the comments section below!
— April Hasson (photos, too!)