Just in time for Random Act of Kindness Day (tomorrow, Feb. 17), we’ve made a list of our favorite ways for kids to spread joy and kindness to the world around them. From easy ways to volunteer (from home) with your kids to little steps to make the world a better place, we’ve got a ton of ideas for Bay Area kids.
1. There's lots that kids can learn about empathy from animals. While we can't donate items to our local SPCAs right now, we can spread kindness by offering to walk a neighbor's dog for them.
2. Incorporate Meatless Mondays into your family’s dinner plans. Here’s our great list of plant-based recipes to get you started.
3. Make sure that local kids are ready for school by hosting a backpack drive. While this has gone virtual for 2021, you can typically collect new backpacks and the supplies to fill them through Operation Backpack.
4. Get the kids painting kindness rocks. It's a fun activity and then you can leave them in neighbor's yards or create a giveaway box for your front yard for people to take one as they walk by.
5. Practice Kitchen Table Kindness by participating in activities that can keep children meaningfully engaged while spreading kindness to others.
6. Visit one of our favorite donut shops with the little ones… and buy an extra dozen to give a neighbor.
7. Eat locally-grown foods and order a veggie box from a local CSA to support local growers.
9. Teach your kids to be kind to themselves and practice mindfulness and meditation through the practice of yoga. This creates an outward ripple effect for them to create love and joy in the world.
10. Drop off flowers or a lovely plant for a neighbor or family member who is feeling isolated.
11. There are loads of awesome fairy gardens in the Bay Area and you can join in this fun kindness-spreading activity in your own yard.
12. Join your local Buy Nothing group and get your kids to clear out those toys and books they have outgrown.
13. Share these stories of inspiring Bay Area kids and get your little ones thinking about how they can help out in their community.
14. Cover your driveway with inspirational chalk messages or draw some art and hang it on your windows to make passersby smile.
16. Spread kindness every day! Download our kindness calendar so this act can become part of your everyday life, not just once a year!