Give your next summer dinner a little Cajun flair with this yummy recipe for Red Beans and Rice. You can make big batches of this dish for a BBQ and let everyone spice it up to their liking. It keeps well too, so if you make too much, you can always refrigerate it and keep it for later. For an extra authentic kick, throw in some chorizo or andouille sausage and enjoy.
1 yellow onion, chopped
1 c chopped celery
1 small green bell pepper, cored, seeded and chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 (14.5 ounce) cans kidney beans
1 (20 ounce) package cooked jasmine rice
2 tbsp chopped parsley
1. Cook onions, celery, green peppers and garlic in a medium skillet over medium high heat until golden.
2. Transfer into to a medium pot and add the beans.
3. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 20 to 30 minutes.
4. Heat rice according to package directions.
5. Ladle beans over rice and garnish with parsley.
recipe adapted from Whole Foods
photo courtesy of WordRidden