It’s a new year, and instead of fretting over perfecting your plank or finally organizing all those family photos (ug, we are tired just thinking about it), how about you resolve to buy cute kids’ clothes, drink coffee and eat burgers—all with your awesome family? If you like the sound of that, read on, because we’ve rounded up 20 fun-filled resolutions for Bay Area families that are guaranteed to help you make 2016 a year to remember.
1. Get together and give back by planning a family volunteer day.
2. Try one new dish every week—double points if you can’t pronounce it!
3. Make a plan to visit to all 25 of San Francisco’s BEST playgrounds.
Photo: Anita Chu
4. Start an unplugged family game night tradition.
5. Every once in a while, use your outside voices, INSIDE.
6. Set your sights on completing a race with your little training partner.
7. Round up your old toys and give them to someone who will love them.
Photo: Neve and Hawk
8. Support our local kiddie clothing designers by scoring something cool from one of these makers.
9. Visit more museums—without spending a dime.
10. Try and take a spin on 10 different carousels this year!
Photo: Joe Henderson, SFJAZZ
12. Put some jazz into your life.
13. Drink more coffee.
14. Try and take one family hike per month—these trails are perfect for kids!
Photo credit: Molly DeCoudreaux for The Butterfly Joint
15. Learn the difference between a dovetail and a butterfly joint by taking a family woodworking class!
16. Start a book club with your little reader. Browse your local independent book store each month to pick a title.
17. Buy more toys!! (kids can stop reading right here)…from the Bay Area’s incredible independent toy shops.
18. Try out the #veglife. This meat-free, organic fast-food joint will make it easy and delicious.
19. Spend more time with your local redwoods.
20. Save money (and the planet) by shopping second hand at the Bay’s cool kiddie consignment stores.
Do you have any family resolutions you are hoping to keep in 2016? Tell us in the comments below!