Let’s face it—even when it is raining, winter is a pretty awesome time in the Bay Area. You can still go to the beach, there’s always fun to be had in Golden Gate Park and there are some amazing waterfall hikes nearby. Scroll through to find some of our favorite family activities for when the temps top out at an oh-so-frigid 60 degrees.
Editor’s note: We’re making every effort to provide you with the most up-to-date information. However, there are widespread closures to slow the spread of Covid-19. We’re doing our best to keep all of our stories and calendar up to date. Stay safe, and stay home!
1. Check out some of our most famous wildlife. The Bay Area has tons of great spots for seeing what the sea lions whales and elephant seals are up to.
2. These stroller hikes are perfect when you want to get the kids out for some fresh air.
3. It's always the perfect day to order pizza and we have a list of the perfect pies here.
4. San Francisco has some of the most epic playgrounds around. Pick a sunny day and start checking off our list of 30 favorites like the recently-updated Panhandle Playground.
5. Lunar New Year in on Feb. 12 so that means it's the perfect time to dine on dim sum. We've got all the hot spots where dumplings are king and many of them offer take out and delivery.
6. Visit the shore at low tide and explore the sea urchins, sea stars and crabs that live in our coastal tide pools.
7. We love the Illuminate SF Festival of Lights that goes on all over SF through New Year's Day.
8. Head to Golden Gate Park and check out Entwined which is on display through Feb. 29.
9. Chase some waterfalls and let the kids explore on these amazing waterfall hikes (that are at their peak after springtime rains arrive).
11. Burn off some energy by letting little groms warm-up and drop-in at one of these cool skateparks.
12. Craving some snow? These spots nearby are great for tubing and sledding.
13. Make a weekend of it an book some nights at these cabins that are just a short drive from the Bay Area.
15. See the Bay from the water. There are tons of opportunities to try kayaking with the kids and a warmer winter day can be the perfect choice.
16. Did you know that a brand new Magical Bridge Playground recently opened in Redwood City? Go check it out!
17. Check out the ladybug migration in Redwood Regional Park. They are there in full force for the next few months.
18. There's also the brand-new trail and marshland to visit in the Presidio. Check it out!