It’s raining, it’s pouring and…your kids are bouncing off the walls (you only wish they were snoring, right?). Well, the rain is finally here, which means it’s time to scramble to find some awesome indoor activity to get them out of the house. Here are seven great rainy day activities to get you started. Share the love and let us know in the comment section below where you and the fam head on these dreary wet days.
1. You’ll only need your rain coat and umbrella for the short jaunt between the car and library when you head to your local library branch for an engaging story time. There are story times all over the Bay Area from the main branches to the local neighborhood locations — because of budget cuts, we suggest calling ahead to confirm the exact time, age range, and place.
2. If you’re itching to get out of the house and are in desperate need of that mid-morning caffeine fix, then head to one of these kid-friendly cafes where you can sip on a warm cup of joe and the kids can play. Many of these cafes even have a great kids menu!
3. What is it about the rain that makes the kids exude even more energy than normal? If your little ones are anything like ours, then your mental sanity (and your house) will totally benefit from a trip to an indoor play space. There are plenty of options in the Bay Area for kids of all ages (and energy levels).
4. Imbibe a little culture into your day with some kid-friendly museum fun. We’ve got the inside scoop on bringing kids to a variety of Bay Area Museums. Some of our favorites include the California Academy of Sciences, San Francisco’s Asian Art Museum, The Legion of Honor, The Children’s Creativity Museum, and the Walt Disney Family Museum.
5. If your little one can’t get enough of those machine birds in the sky, we’ve got the perfect day planned out for your airplane loving kid.
6. Don’t want to escape the house? Cozy up and get crafty with these cool arts and crafts projects for kids.
7. Cold rainy weather means hot beverages, indeed. Take the kiddos for a bit of Alice in Wonderland-style fun at one of these great Bay Area spots for a tea time.
And because the Bay Area has been drier than usual this winter, chances are your kids already outgrew the rain boots sitting in your closet. If you need some suggestions for wet weather footwear, take a look at these four fun rain boots for kids.
— Erin Lem
photo courtesy of Nina Matthews Photography via Flikr