Summer days and summer sun are here to stay! While things might look a little different for the summer of 2020, there’s still tons of fun to be had. We’ve gathered up a slew of our favorite summer day activities all over the Bay Area that will keep you as busy as you want to be. Check off your faves below!
Editor’s note: We’re making every effort to provide you with the most up-to-date information. However, there are widespread closures to help flatten the curve and slow the spread of COVID-19. We’re doing our best to keep all of our stories and calendar up to date. Stay safe!
1. While we won't be gathering this summer for the annual Stern Grove Festival, we can join in the Best of the Fest virtual event. Every Sunday from June 14-August 16, you can watch past performances at Stern Grove.
2. Skip the produce aisle and head to a local farm to pick your own berries!
3. Spend the afternoon exploring these bike paths and bike parks that are perfect for the tiny two-wheelers.
4. Get your glamp on! Book a few nights at a nearby cabin, yurt or tent cabin, many that come with your own bathroom and even WiFi. We are especially looking forward to visiting the new glamping tents at Wildhaven in Healdsburg.
5. Cool down in calm waters. Check out one of these swimming beaches perfect for kids!
6. Explore the great outdoors on a hike that is perfect, even for the youngest hikers.
7. Touch a starfish! Head to a nearby tide pool and get up close and personal with local sea life.
8. Jump in a kayak and explore your city by sea.
9. Plan the perfect picnic. We've got a shortlist of the best spots right here.
10. A day in Golden Gate Park doesn't have to break the bank. It is full of free activities and sun shine. Summer is the perfect time for a visit.
11. Eat under the sun by dining at one of SF's many family-friendly restaurants with outdoor seating.
12. Two words: Ice Cream.
13. There's nothing that teaches patience like a day of fishing with your kids. Check out these nearby fishing holes, lakes and piers where you can cast your line.
14. Track down the Mr. Softee truck and get your dessert delivered.
15. Take the kids to the drive-in movies. There are spots open in San Jose and Concord and waiting for your big night.
16. Quarry Park is open for business and it's the perfect day trip from the Bay Area. Check out our full review here.
17. Order up a craft box and give the kids something to do that is not screen related.
18. Great spots like the SF Botanical Gardens and Filoli Gardens are open for visitors and the perfect spots for a visit with nature.
21. Support our local Black community by buying some books, ordering some takeout and getting some lessons from these Black-owned businesses.
Featured photo: iStock