Spring may have just arrived, but parents and kids alike already have their sights set on those three long months known as summer vacation. With all that surplus free time, many of our little ones need ideas for keeping active throughout the summer, lest they succumb to couch-potato sickness. The YMCA wants you and your little superstars to stay happy and healthy all summer long, so that’s why they’re dedicating an entire day to teaching kids fun ways to keep kids physically and intellectually active during their break. Mark your calendars for April 13th, because Healthy Kids Day 2013 is coming to the YMCA and everyone is invited.
What is it?
On April 13th the Stonestown Family YMCA, is hosting Healthy Kids Day, their annual block party geared towards getting local kids ready for summer with fun activities as well as tips on making healthy decisions when it comes to eating and playtime. With the help of volunteers from The Junior League of San Francisco, an organization of women who promote volunteer opportunities and improving communities through positive leadership, the block along Eucalyptus Avenue will be transformed into a massive playground filled with tons of kids activities.
How Long Does it Run?
Starting at 11:00 am and going until 2:30 pm, kids will have a bunch of great opportunities to have fun while learning how to stay active this summer. Here’s a sampling of what to expect at Healthy Kids Day 2013:
– Work off some extra energy in the bounce houses, or bust a move with Zumbatomic, a high-energy Zumba dance class for kids.
– Enjoy healthy and delicious bites from local companies like Somersault Snack Co. (They’re neighbors of the Red Tricycle office!) as well as savory food truck eats.
– For kids who live on two wheels, Ocean Cyclery will be there to provide helmet fittings and provide trail maps for off-road adventures all throughout the Bay Area.
– Working out those mini minds is just as important as breaking a sweat, that’s why the San Francisco Public Library will be on hand with engaging activities to keep those minds sharp while school’s out.
– Get dirty and learn how to plant a Springtime garden.
– Explore your wild side with face to face encounters with some scaly creatures as well as hands-on demonstrations of some amazing wildlife with Tree Frog Treks.
What’s the Cost?
Admission to the YMCA Healthy Kids Day is totally free! Just show up on the 13th and check it out.
When is it?
April 13 from 11:00 am to 2:30 pm
Stonestown Family YMCA
333 Eucalyptus Drive
San Francisco, Ca 94132
What will you be doing to stay active this summer?
photos courtesy of Stonestown Family YMCA facebook page