Summer is slipping away and weekdays spent with your toes in the sand or splashing in the pool are numbered. May we suggest squeezing one more adventure before the school bell rings again? RedTri has put together a list of the best nearby places for an instant, easy vacation before summer is over. Leave your passports at home and pack light for a day or overnight trip—there’s something for the entire family—no plane tickets required. Soak in the last days of summer at one of these local spots.
1. Spend the day getting carried away down the Russian River. Grab your favorite floatation device, kayak or inner tube, and life vests for the kiddos and hit the smooth water. For a 3-4 hour floating adventure, start at Steelhead Beach and float to Mother’s Beach. Most of the river will be shallow but be aware of afternoon winds so start the journey early and float the day away. Get the full scoop on the Russian River and don’t forget to arrive early and stay late.
2. With three outdoor pools, a whirlpool AND a children’s activity pool with water features you’re sure to beat the heat in style with a swim day at the Claremont Hotel. But wait, there’s more! They also provide complimentary lounge chairs and umbrellas so you can soak in the sun and stunning views of San Francisco. There’s one caveat however, you need to be either a hotel guest OR you can become a Club member to gain access to the pool facility. With yoga, tennis, swimming, childcare and more – as a Club member the Claremont Hotel will become your daily summer staycation.
Photo Credit: Claremont Club & Spa, A Fairmont Hotel
3. Pack the car and make the short drive down the peninsula for a day of sun, novelty food, rides and games at the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk. With rides for all ages, each kid and adult in your family will have something fun to do. Purchase the all-day rides wristband to save money and let your kids have unlimited fun. Or if you think you’ll be heading to the Boardwalk more than twice this summer buy the season pass for additional savings! Get more tips to really make the most out of your day at the Boardwalk.
Photo Credit: Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk
4. Escape the cool San Francisco summer weather and head to Lake Tahoe for some sun fun. Hiking, biking, or good ol’ fashion water play, Tahoe is the perfect kid-friendly staycation destination. Check out one of the many sandy or pebble beaches, or rent a kayak to see the “hidden” coves on the east shore. Get more planning tips on where to stay and dine and what to do for a perfect summer staycation.
Photo Credit: Tarah Photography
5. San Francisco may be urban, but did you know you can go off the grid with an overnight camping trip in the Presidio at Rob Hill? If packing for a camping trip so close to home sounds overwhelming don’t fret. RedTri has you covered! Check out these tips from renting gear to having food delivered right to your tent door.
Photo Credit: Erin Feher
6. Want to hit the beach but escape the cold coast of San Francisco? Look no further than across the bay to Crown Memorial State Beach. With 2.5 miles of sandy beaches and warm water you’ll be transported to southern California without the flight or 8-hour drive. The beach is perfect for the littlest of kids too with the shallow water and calm tides near the shore. Be sure to pack a picnic and claim a bench on the grassy area nearby for a lunchtime break. Also, Crown Memorial State Beach is known for sand castle creating so be sure to pack the sand toys and get those creative juices flowing. After a day of beach sunning and sand art, you’ll feel like you’re on an island in the middle of the Pacific.
Photo Credit: Gary Graham Photography
How will you be spending the last days of summer? Let us know in the comments!