2010 looks to be a New Year filled with lots of babies, so we’re willing to bet you’ll find yourself receiving a shower invitation or four. Whether you’re looking to all-out splurge for a best bud or give a thoughtful gift that won’t break the bank, Sprout, the organic baby store on San Francisco’s Union St., has got a gift certain to inspire “coos” and “oohs,” at the next party for a mother-to-be. On a recent browse-by, these picks caught our eye:
• Lifefactory’s brightly-colored silicone teething rings can be snapped up in clusters, since they sell for just $6.99. Plus, they slip on mommy’s wrist like fun bangles for easy access for baby.
• The OXO Candela Rechargeable Guardian Nightlight snaps off the wall (while leaving a glowing LED light plugged in) for late-night binky searches and trips to the bathroom. ($35)
• Give a keepsake worth keeping around, like the handmade hardwood Chinese New Year Birth Year Block ($15) or Mommy-To-Be Box ($38) by Tree by Kerri Lee.
• For drafty Bay Area Victorians, nothing keeps baby cozy and safe at night like a Kangapouch. ($140–150) These Aussie-made down-filled sleep-sacks are made with an organic cotton shell.
• You just can’t see your stylish pal lugging a diaper bag around, but she’ll look right at home carrying a Serena and Lily Gypsy tote ($164), which fully functions as one. Sprout carries all three styles, including the Mongolian-inspired Gobi, the very boho-embroidered Peacock, and the gorgeous flax linen Prague. Toss in a matching changing pad ($18), and she’ll be set for both the big trips and the little jaunts.
Sprout, 1828 Union St., San Francisco, 415-359-9205.