While snow may not be in the city’s forecast, fun sure is with these winter activities around Seattle. From ice skating spots and snowshoeing tours, to day trip destinations and classes galore, start at number one, and work your way through our mitten-worthy bucket list that’ll keep you playing all season long. Let’s get started!
1. It wouldn’t be winter if you didn’t take the kids tubing at a local sledding hill or sno-park play spot.
2. Get your sports fix at this family fun center where families can hit balls at the batting cages, sink a putt on the mini golf course and ice skate through their day.
3. Visit this border town filled with history, endless trails and a hoppin’ beer scene.
4. Got a favorite BIPOC children’s book or author? Why not donate it to help open a local bookstore?
5. Find out why exploring the trails at this wastewater treatment plant is actually a great way to spend a sunny afternoon.
6. Snowshoe through the pristine wilderness of Easton Lake Park on a free guided tour. No experience necessary!
7. Who doesn’t love a good baby watch? Check up on pregnant gorilla, Nadiri, who’s due late this month or early next.
8. Explore this local island to find a pirate-themed playground overlooking the Sound and a peaceful memorial that’s steeped in history.
9. Leave the world a little better (and kinder) than you found it when you sign up for this kid-approved program with your besties or your pod squad.
10. If your tots think Blippi is boss, blow their minds with this locally-made treat that delivers right to your door!
11. If elk feeding and a winter carnival are on your family's bucket list, you can’t go wrong with a trip to this sweet destination.
12. Who needs Disneyland when you can reserve a spot at to glide across the ice on this exciting ride instead? No plane necessary!
13. Experience South Lake Union from a whole new perspective when you and the kids explore on foot.
14. Is there a mouse in your house? Your budding artist sure hopes so!
15. Pick up dinner from this inventive food hall that’s changing lives in so many ways.
16. Spend the day ice skating, snow shoeing and practicing your aim with axes at this resort before roasting s’mores at the outdoor fire pits, and then retiring to your room.
17. Indulge in this class made for chocoholics (and their kids!).
18. All aboard! Take a scenic train ride choo-choo enthusiasts of all ages will love.
19. Use this helpful toolkit that turns your kids into kitchen heroes for the day.
20. Sure, spring hasn’t sprung, but if joining a CSA is on your healthy planet list, now’s the time to do it.
22. Find out why Picasso doesn’t have the corner on the funky self-portrait market at this family workshop.
24. Speaking of hip hop, who needs gym class when your kids can attend this dance party instead?
25. Help budding scientists find the inspiration they need to pursue their passions.
26. We think your fam will love this card-making workshop taught by Ray Mack.
27. If lion dances, martial arts and firecrackers are your thing, you gotta check out this three-day celebration!
28. Entice your kids to eat their veggies when they learn to make broccoli trees and mashed potato hills.
29. This concert will make your tots want to swim like a swan, hop like a kangaroo and strut like a lion.
30. Whether you pick up a kit or provide your own supplies, this craft class for families will give you the skills you need to keep stamping along.
31. Celebrate the Lunar New Year safely from home with this Bellevue favorite.
32. Because missions to Mars are always a hit with kids, check out this stellar program planned a week before the NASA’s latest mission to the Red Planet.
33. Find out where your kids can blow off S.T.E.A.M, get JazzEd and kick a ball over mid-winter break.
34. It’s not too late to opt outside when you sign up the kids for this after school program. Can you dig it?
35. Tune in to this radio play that’s about wanting others to see us the way we see ourselves.
37. Think ahead to spring when you learn how to host powerhouse pollinators in your garden.
38. Meet Point Defiance Zoo and Aquarium’s newest stars—lar gibbon pair, Aires and Orien.
39. Have a blast at this new playground on the Eastside.
40. Quack your kids up with a trip to see the latest in rubber duckie tableau.
41. Go on a bear hunt at this Maple Valley park. We’re not scared!
42. Have your kids ever wanted to learn how to design a playground or build the perfect animal enclosure? Well, now they can.
43. Dash through the snow, bundled under blankets, on a private sleigh ride.
44. Sit down with your little movie buffs to enjoy over 130 just-for-kids films at this year’s Children’s Film Festival Seattle.
45. Belt it out at this Seattle Opera program with Littles in mind.
46. Explore lighthouses and follow in the footsteps of Lewis and Clark at this out-of-the-way overnight destination that’s worth the drive.
47. Winter nights are made for comfort food, whether it’s gooey gourmet cheese sandwiches or fully loaded vegan hot dogs.
48. Fall in love with this lit Bavarian town where you can shop, sled and sleigh.
49. Find a cascading treasure at the end of this hike even the Littles can handle.
50. Mysterious coves and rugged cliffs make this spot popular year-round, but you’ll find more space and spectacular views here in the off season.
—Allison Sutcliffe & Kristina Moy