If you’re looking to get in one last hurrah before summer’s over, consider heading to Alderbrook Resort & Spa. Located less than two hours from Seattle on Washington’s scenic Hood Canal, this waterfront resort flawlessly combines the outdoor activities kids crave with a slowed-down pace parents love. Still not convinced? Scroll down for 10 reasons you need to pack your bags and head to Alderbrook now.
1. It’s Easy to Get To. Alderbrook Resort & Spa is located in the town of Union towards the south end of Hood Canal. If you’ve never been to Hood Canal, you’ll be surprised to know it’s practically in Seattle’s backyard—less than a two-hour drive if you go over the Tacoma Narrows Bridge or a 60-minute ferry ride from Coleman Dock and short drive from Bremerton. Psst! You can also take the Southworth ferry from West Seattle’s Fauntleroy Ferry Dock. The drive from Port Orchard is just under an hour. Whether you choose to go by boat or by bridge, once you arrive at Alderbrook you are going to feel like you are worlds away from the hustle and bustle of the city.
2. Water Activities Galore! One of the best things about Alderbrook Resort & Spa is its water activities. In addition to exploring the sea-creature filled tide flats and awesome beach, the Waterfront Center offers an array of watercraft options. Rent a hydrobike, pedal boat, seacycle, stand up paddle board or single or double kayak and enjoy the calm waters of Hood Canal. Motorized boats, skiffs and electric boats are also available to rent from Memorial Day to Labor Day. And if you’d prefer for someone else to do the driving, the Lady Alderbrook (the resort’s 54-foot double-decker motor vessel) offers 90-minute summer scenic cruises on Mondays and Wednesdays in July and August.
3. Complimentary Daily Activities. Keeping kids active and busy isn’t hard to do at Alderbrook. From beach combing, fishing and kayaking to stand up paddle boarding, swimming and hiking, outdoor activities are aplenty here. However, if you’re still looking for a bit more adventure, Alderbrook does offer a number of daily activities for all ages. Take a stand up paddle board or yoga class, give geocaching a try or participate in a painting class. Daily activities are complimentary to all hotel guests with the exception of the scenic summer cruises aboard the Lady Alderbrook. View current daily activities here. Psst! To keep kids busy at night, the Gamers Hideaway Room (on floor 3) has Xbox game consoles, arcade-style machines and more all set on free play. Score!
4. You Can Celebrate National S’mores Month Every Night! During the month of August, guests of Alderbrook Resort & Spa can celebrate National S’mores Month every night from 6 p.m.-8 p.m. The s’mores roast is complimentary and takes place at the fire pit near the cottages, conveniently located next to the outdoor lawn games where you can burn off that sugar rush. The best part? These aren’t your ordinary s’mores. Guests have the option of homemade marshmallows made daily by Alderbrook’s chef as well as Hershey chocolate squares, peanut butter cups, Rolo candies and more. Psst! If you happen to visit on a Thursday, be sure to pick up a S’mores Passport in the lobby at 5 p.m. and participate in Alderbrook’s s’mores scavenger hunt. It doesn’t get any sweeter than this!
5. Over Three Miles of Walking Trails to Explore. Kids of all ages will think the hiking trails at Alderbrook are awesome and with routes that loop back around, there are countless new ways to discover. Put on your sturdy shoes or rubber boots and let the older kids in your crew be the trail blazers, leading the fam through the woods. Younger kids will appreciate the smooth, wide trails that are perfect for little feet. Psst! Be sure to bring your camera—there’s a great vantage point that’s screaming for you to take a family photo. Say cheese!
6. An Indoor Pool with a View. We know the first question your kids are going to ask when you tell them you’re headed to Alderbrook Resort & Spa. Is there a pool? And thankfully, you can say “yes.” Alderbrook’s indoor pool is open year-round, so if the wind is whipping through Hood Canal, your little water bugs can swim their little hearts out. The pool is open daily from 9 a.m.-9 p.m. for all ages (9 p.m. to midnight for adults only), so if you’ve got a crew of early risers, you can burn off some of that morning steam in the pool house. Psst! You can also order food and drinks from the restaurant in the pool house, including anything from the bar! Margaritas poolside, anyone?
7. A Spa to Relax & Rejuvenate. If you’re hoping to seek some peace and tranquility during your mini getaway, The Spa at Alderbrook is the place to do it. Enjoy a massage, body treatment or facial while surrounded by nature, the smell of cedars and evergreens and the sound of water splashing against the rocks. Psst! We suggest booking a Signature Massage which integrates heated basalt stones with aromatherapy, relaxation and deep tissue techniques to harmonize your mind, body, and soul.
8. Award-Winning Dining. Whether you’re into fresh seafood or more traditional dishes like steak and fries or handmade ravioli, you’ll find a wide selection of rotating menu items at The Restaurant at Alderbrook. Each night, Executive Chef Ben Jones prepares a delectable menu that showcases local seafood harvested from Puget Sound and the Hood Canal with savory creations like tiny sweet oysters and Dungeness crab cakes. Fresh local lettuces and handcrafted artisanal cheeses are always on the menu alongside warm starters like Alderbrook’s oh-so delicious clam chowder. Kids will love choosing items off the Canal Kid menu and everyone’s eyes will light up when they catch a glimpse of the dessert menu made by the restaurant’s in-house pastry team.
9. Spacious Cottages & Hotel Rooms. If you are up for splurging or want a bit more room to spread out, the cottages at Alderbrook are perfect for families. Each cottage offers a spacious living room, a cozy gas fireplace, a fully stocked kitchen and a covered patio. The cottages also surround a big green stretch of grass perfect for romping around or playing games. Rather go with a classic guestroom, hotel-style? Ask for a room with a deck or a room on the ground floor that opens up into the resort grounds. Either way, your kids are going to love sleeping in Alderbrook’s comfy beds and wearing cozy hotel robes after their showers.
10. Last-Minute Summer Packages Are Still Available. Alderbrook Resort & Spa has a variety of overnight packages, seasonal offers, weekend getaways and romantic escapes to fit every type of visitor. From the Alderbrook Family Adventure package available Sundays through Thursdays, to the Shore to Table package designed to give guests an unforgettable seafood experience, personalizing your stay at Alderbrook is just a click away. Check their website for current packages and summer specials.
Alderbrook Resort & Spa
10 E. Alderbrook Dr.
Union, WA 98592
—Kristina Moy (all photos courtesy of the writer)
This trip was paid for by Alderbrook Resort & Spa, but all opinions expressed here belong to the writer.