The winter months in Seattle means less sun, more rain, and energetic kids bouncing off the walls. We know it can be a challenge to find new and exciting indoor activities that are not only fun, but also convenient and affordable, which is why we’ve come up with our favorite 10 rainy day activities for Seattle kids. These activities are a sure-fire way to keep the family entertained and stimulated, and almost glad for the wet winter weather. Share the love in the comment section below how you keep your kids busy on these rainy days.
1. Got a bookworm on your hands? Take a trip to any one of these kid friendly bookstores and share a few hours reading a story together. Or sit back with the tiny tyke and get lost together in a whimsical tale in any of these awesome story times!
2. Get creative with the kids and spend some time in the comfort of your cozy home with any one of these super fun crafts. They’ll have you and the little ones forgetting all about the rain in no time.
3. Looking for something new and fun? Why not try a drop-In class? Sit and relax during story time, channel your little one’s inner artist with crafts, or get silly during playtime. There’s no better way to chase away the rainy day blues than with these classes.
4. Have you and your little one worked up an appetite working on that cork-snake, or during that rip roaring playtime? Nourish yourselves with these kid friendly restaurants in upper Fremont. Whether your kiddo craves pizza, burgers or Mexican food there’s something for everyone on this list.
5. The Pacific Science Center is the best place to learn how weather works. Take a trip on a stormy day and discover how mother nature works. If that’s not you and your little one’s cup of tea, check out the Insect Village, the Puget Sound Tide Pool or any one of the other awesome attractions this destination has to offer.
6. Summer and Fall mean fresh produce at any number of farmers markets, and it’s simply heartbreaking to see them dwindle down as the rainy winter months approach. But wait! Look no further for an awesome market experience at this amazing indoor farmers market. From sandwiches to small batch chocolate, this market has everything winter calls for!
7. The kids can get restless, and the hours certainly feel like they slowly pass by with the little ones bouncing off the ceiling and blazing trails through the living room. Let them burn off all that pent up energy at these indoor playspaces. Got a few things to pick up? Get the shopping done at these shops that offer playspaces.
8. Just because it’s raining doesn’t mean your little one can’t play on the playground. These awesome rainy day playgrounds feature rubber surfaces, tree canopies and weather protection to ensure your kiddo is safe whether they play on the wet or dry playground.
9. If there’s a train table around, chances are there’s a crowd of kids, sending the engines and box cars down the tracks. If your home isn’t grand central station and your floors and tables aren’t littered with little wooden tracks and trains, take a trip to these locations with indoor train table, and channel the inner conductor of your little one.
10. The Serpentarium in Monroe is every lizard lover’s dream. With a warehouse filled to the brim with reptiles, spiders and crocodiles, it’s a haven for the creepy crawly enthusiasts. Touch giant tortoises, hold creepy crawlies and snakes, even get a picture taken. Grab your little wildlife expert and hike down to the Serpentarium for this awesome show!
— Brian Helt
photo credit of Pump It Up