We know you could get a lot done around the house over Labor Day Weekend, but wouldn’t you rather spend your time celebrating the end of summer instead of getting ready for fall? We think yes! That’s why we’ve pulled together 20 fantastic activities taking place over the long weekend. Scroll down and get ready to make plans to get out and enjoy yourself!
photo: Christopher Nelson
1. All weekend long you can listen to awesome music, nosh on delish food, enjoy urban craft vendors and take in art, film and dance at the 49th Annual Bumbershoot Festival.
2. Grab your low-back chair, comfy pillows and movie snacks and head over to Magnuson Park to watch “Finding Nemo” under the starry Seattle skies.
photo: Northwest Trek Wildlife Park
3. Don’t miss the action all weekend long at Northwest Trek Wildlife Park as the badgers, cougars, porcupines, black bears and wolves devour their favorite foods during the park’s three-day Feeding Frenzy event. Psst! While you’re there, be sure to check out the brand-new Eagle Passage exhibit.
4. Unleash your inner pirate over the three-day weekend aboard the Queen Anne’s Revenge. Prepare for a high sea adventure with the Emerald City Pirates and enjoy sea shanty singing, pirate storytelling, treasure hunting, cannon water blasting and more!
5. Celebrate Labor Day Weekend with a scenic antique train ride though the Upper Snoqualmie Valley. Then, stop by Snoqualmie Falls on your return trip to Seattle to gawk at the magnificent Falls and enjoy a bite to eat at The Attic at Salish Lodge & Spa.
photo: The Evergreen State Fair
6. Head to Monroe to enjoy the last weekend of The Evergreen State Fair. In addition to carnival games, rides and an awesome rodeo, this old-fashioned fair will feature 4-H exhibits, concerts and scrumptious fair food.
7. Calling all superhero wannabes? Put on your favorite superhero costume and participate in the annual FARF 5K Superhero Run. In addition to the superhero-themed run/walk, there will be fun family activities at the finish line, including face painting, balloon animals, photo booths and more!
8. Maybe getting out of the city sounds like the perfect way to spend this Labor Day Weekend. Pack up the car and head out for one last road trip before school starts back up.
photo: Bob Noble
9. The Washington State Fair is once again kicking off a whole week early, so you and your crew can “Do the Puyallup” over Labor Day Weekend. Yee-haw!
10. Lace up your running shoes, grab your jogger and join other Seattle families for the Overlake Labor Day Half Marathon & 5K Run/Walk. In addition to the run/walk, there will a special Kids Run open to ages 10 & under as well as family activities at the post-race celebration.
11. Check out the 30th Annual Bremerton Blackberry Festival. This sweet festival will feature games and activities for the kids, lots of tasty blackberry treats and fun activities that will really make it feel like summer’s never gonna end.
photo: Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium
12. Join the folks at Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium for their End-of-Summer Blast. This fun event will be jam-packed with cool activities (literally!) and will give everyone the chance to get up close with the animals and talk with zoo keepers.
13. If you’re looking for a low-key family outing, head over to the Ballard Locks and take in some tunes on the grassy hills while you watch the boats pass through the Locks. Concerts will be taking place on Saturday, Sunday and Monday over the three-day weekend.
14. Head to San Juan Island for the second annual Lakedale Resort Music Festival. Take in the music on the property’s lodge deck overlooking beautiful Neva Lake and enjoy food service provided by food trucks from the amazing Mobile Mavens.
photo: S.I. via Yelp
15. Take one last trip to Jetty Island before it closes for the season. While you’re there, help clean up the island during the annual Trash Bash, visit with Smokey Bear and watch local Scouts lower the flags during the closing ceremony.
16. Dust off your bikes, blades, trailers and training wheels and enjoy four car-free miles of Lake Washington Boulevard between Seward Park and Mount Baker Beach. Psst! There’s only three more Bicycle Sundays left until next summer.
17. This is your last weekend, until next summer, to explore the beautiful Mercer Slough Nature Park by water. Put on your life vests, grab your paddles and join a Bellevue park ranger for a three-hour guided tour.
18. Celebrate the last days of summer break with a ginormous scoop of ice cream, gelato or froyo at one of our favorite spots around the city.
19. Take your crew to the Lake Hills Greenbelt Ranger Station to look and listen for nocturnal creatures during this special ranger-led night hike.
20. Head to Point Ruston to splash, ride and play along the Tacoma waterfront. Psst! Be sure to check out the new 40-acre park that now connects Point Ruston to Point Defiance Park. It’s awesome!
Feature photo courtesy of Christopher Nelson.