Seattle famlies have it good. When the weather is nice, there are limitless lakes, beaches and parks to explore. When the weather is lousy, the kid-friendly coffee shops, indoor play spaces and museums are bountiful and manage to keep the whole family happy. Whether you’re visiting Seattle for a family vacation or you’re a local parent, you can enjoy Red Tricycle’s picks for the top ten things to do in Seattle with kids.
1. Hit up the attractions. Pike Place Market and Seattle Center are popular for a reason – they’re a blast! Check out our Insiders Guide to navigating Pike Place Market with kids for tips on where to rent a stroller and the best places to eat. Seattle Center always has something going on for the kids, so make sure you check their event page, but here are some of our favorite Seattle Center activities. Perhaps a little lesser known to tourists, but very popular with Seattle families is the Chittenden Locks (If you’re heading over to the Locks, why not spend a whole day in kid-friendly Ballard?). Which leads us to….
2. Explore a neighborhood. Of course, downtown Seattle offers the Market, MOMA and the free Oympic Sculpture Park, the Aquarium and beautiful waterfront, but some of our favorite Seattle neighborhoods to explore with kids are off the beaten path and include Madison Park, Madrona, Columbia City, Queen Anne and West Seattle (take a water taxi over from downtown).
3. Save a buck and enjoy all the free stuff Seattle has to offer for kids. From free storytimes to exploring a shipyard to riding a bus in downtown Seattle (which is always free for kids and adults, btw), there are tons of things to do with kids in Seattle that won’t cost you a dime.
6. Rainy day in Seattle with kids? No worries, there is no city more prepared to keep kids entertained indoors in bad weather than Seattle. Start off with an kid-friendly coffee shop or cafe. When you are properly amped, head over to one of the kids museums or indoor playspaces.
7. Ready to eat? Seattle has a slew of family friendly dining options, from chinese to greek and italian, one of our favorites and a Seattle hidden gem is Vios Cafe on Capitol Hill, where the kids have there own play area while you enjoy a Mediterranean feast. Don’t forget dessert! How about the best ice cream & frozen yogurt in Seattle?
9. Get outdoors! Even in inclement weather, you see the littlest Seattleites in their wellies and raincoats, enjoying the evergreen landscape. One of our favorite hikes with kids is through the Washington Park Arboretum. Here are some picks for other kid-friendly hikes in Seattle, as well as best bike rides for kids.
Is there something fun you’ve done with your kids in Seattle that we missed? Let us know! Include it in the comments below. Or feel free to explore our entire site for tons more ideas for things to do with kids in Seattle (as well as San Francisco, Portland, Los Angeles and San Diego).