You won’t feel guilty going back for second helpings of this ham mac ‘n’ cheese because the secret ingredient to making the creamy sauce is actually greek yogurt. Created by food blogger Consuelo of Honey & Figs, this version of the classic is features much fewer fat and calories thanks to the greek yogurt and whole wheat macaroni. Read on for the full recipe and then tell us in the Comments below how your dish turns out.
12 oz. ham
1 tsp. extra spicy cajun spice
5 cups (16 oz.) cooked whole wheat macaroni
1/2 cup tomato sauce
1/3 cup bbq sauce
1/2 C shredded cheese (for the topping) olive oil for the pan
1 1/2 C fat free greek yogurt salt pepper
3/4 C strong cheese (such as parmesan or manchego)
1. Stir greek yogurt, salt, pepper and strong cheese together to form a creamy sauce. Set aside.
2. Heat some oil in a pan and when it’s hot, add ham and cajun spice and saute until crispy.
3. Add cooked macaroni, bbq and tomato sauce, more salt if needed and stir.
4. Add the cheese sauce, stir and saute for 5 minutes.
5. Remove pan from heat and pour macaroni in a baking dish.
6. Top with shredded cheese.
7. Bake at 250ºC (about 475ºF) until cheese is golden. This will take about 15 minutes in a non-preheated oven, since everything is already cooked.
Note: Don’t use a mild cheese for the cheese sauce or it will have more of a yogurt taste than it should.
Have you tried this recipe? Tell us in the Comments below!
This recipe and photo comes to us courtesy of Consuelo at Honey & Figs who aims to share both healthy recipes that actually taste delicious and the occasional indulgence–because we all know that a life without cookies and cheesecake is not quite as awesome, right? Check out the blog to read all about Consuelo’s life in Spain, her adventures coming up with healthy versions of favorite comfort foods, and more.