What walks down stairs, alone or in pairs, and makes a slinkity sound? It’s the Slinky of course! And while racing your Slinky down the stairs is always a popular choice, a Slinky can do so much more. Read on to discover seven fun things you can do with America’s favorite spring.
photo: fishhawk via flickr
1. Make a birdfeeder. All it takes is a wire hanger, a metal Slinky and a bag of peanuts. Check out this tutorial on how to do it.
2. Similarly, make a door wreath. Stretch the Slinky out, fill with colored paper or lightweight objects that won’t slip through the wires, like autumn leaves, fresh greens, red and green felt balls or even small toys. Attach the ends with wire or sturdy twist tie (you can make a loop to hang it on with the same wire). It’s easy to add a bow or weave ribbon through the wire. Check out a DIY Slinky wreath we love for a fun variation on the wreath.
3. Create a custom desk set in less than 5 minutes. Use metal Slinkys of varying sizes as a pen or pencil holder and a photo holder. You can even use one to display business cards.
4. Spray paint one orange to make a pumpkin centerpiece.
5. A plastic Slinky makes a great tunnel for pet mice or a little love nest for the birds.
6. Teach the kids some physics with a favorite teacher hack that uses a Slinky to demonstrate Transverse and Longitudinal Waves. Click here for an easy-to-follow instructions.
7. Make a prison for enemy toys (and Peeps!).
What’s your favorite Slinky hack? Share it with us in the comments below.