This is a super flavorful, savory dish with juicy, tender chicken that’s delicious over some whole grain spaghetti, rice, you name it. Grate some fresh Parmesan over the top of this dish and viola, dinner is ready in a flash. Be sure to hop on over to Mom’s Kitchen Handbook for more great recipe ideas.
1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
Salt and pepper to taste
1 large red onion, very thinly sliced
4 whole cloves garlic, peeled
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1 26-ounce box chopped tomatoes (such as the POMI brand) or use 28oz can tomatoes
1/2 teaspoon dried, chopped rosemary
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 bunch swiss chard, stems removed, roughly chopped
Method (Makes 4 to 6 servings):
1. Season the chicken with salt and pepper on both sides.
2. Put onion, garlic, balsamic vinegar, tomatoes (juice included), rosemary, thyme, basil, and oregano into the crock pot and stir well.
3. Nestle the chicken pieces into the tomatoes. Turn crock pot to high.
4. Cook until the chicken is very tender, about 4 hours.
5. Add chard to the pot and stir so that it is covered with liquid. Cook 15 to 20 minutes longer until the chard is tender.
6. Serve over cooked whole grain spaghetti, brown rice, or farro.
Note: feel free to substitute kale, spinach, or other dark leafy green and adjust cooking time accordingly
Katie Sullivan Morford is a mom, food writer and registered dietitian. You can find her family-friendly recipes and kitchen wisdom at Mom’s Kitchen Handbook