Have you decided on what pies to bake? How big the turkey needs to be? And what kind of gravy to serve? Thanksgiving weekend is upon us, which not only means tons of food and leftovers, but a four day weekend for the kiddos. Once extended family has dispersed, you’ll have a gaggle of squirlyness to wrangle. And what better way to do that than with some festive holiday and seasonal events in your area? We’ve got some great ideas to help you out.
1. Score tickets for How The Grinch Stole Christmas at Conrad Prebys Theatre Center! This classic story is brought to life on stage with colorful actors and amazing kid-friendly music. Parents and little ones will be entertained alike!
2. Get into the true holiday spirit with the San Marcos’ Tree Festival! The kiddos will love the display of decorated holiday trees, music, light refreshments and you’ll love their Holiday Gift Boutique. All proceeds benefit the Interfaith Community Services’ Project CARE for older adults.
3. Check out the Leo Carrillo Ranch with the whole family! Explore the historic grounds, and let the little ones chase colorful peacocks around the gardens. This is a great way to get the family out of the house, and if in-laws are still in town this is a great opportunity for an activity even grandma will enjoy.
4. If your family is turkey-ed out, try out some new non holiday inspired dinner options like penne pasta with bacon and peas, chicken tortilla soup, and flaky tomato & gruyere pizza. Get the kids in the kitchen by having them help sprinkle cheese and stir the pot.
5. Rock the arts and crafts table and have the kiddos make a handprint turkey or any of these other fall craft favorites! After all of the holiday hubub, an afternoon of quiet coloring is the perfect way to wind down.
6. Hang ten with Santa at Seaport Village! Surfing Santa rides in on a pirate ship, poses for pictures, and rings in the holiday cheer for San Diego for kids and families. Enjoy a parade, live music and other festivities.
7. Take a walk on the wild side with the San Diego Zoo Safari Park. The new and improved Safari Park grants guests the opportunity to explore the grounds with various kinds of safari experiences—whether by tram, zip line, or hot air balloon! And with this 4 day weekend, it’s the perfect excuse to spend a day with the animals.
8. Take the kids to Kidventures for some indoor play time fun. Whether you need a minute away from the house, or a minute of quiet away from the kids, this is the perfect place to go. With so much room to run around and tons of imaginative play houses, you won’t hear anything about being bored this holiday season.
9. If you missed out on our harvest farms round up earlier this year, you’re going to want to double check your calendars and clear a day for a trip to Julian. You’re not going to want to miss their delicious apple pies and apple cider. A perfect pairing for the weekend after Thanksgiving.
10. Don’t forget about the parks and beaches during this time of year. While the temps are mild (versus scorching) it’s a great opportunity to roll around in the grass and explore the surf at Kellogg Park. Pack a picnic with turkey sandwiches and grab the family for an afternoon getaway.
Do you have any tips or tricks on how to keep the little ones busy and not bored this holiday season? Let us know!
Photo By: Sign On San Diego