Just because it’s the end of August and your kiddos are heading back to school, doesn’t mean that you can’t squeeze in just a little bit more fun out of this San Diego summer. Lucky for us, the Southern California weather stays fairly temperate year round, which is ideal for outdoor family fun. Before your kids lace up those new shoes and pack those school supplies into new backpacks, we recommend taking a day or two to hit the pause button on your back to school routine and savor the last few days of what has been a totally awesome summer!
1. Instead of hitting the beach, try an alternative water activity: fishing! Chollas Lake Park boasts 16 acres and in addition to fishing, is a great spot to hike, bike, walk, and play.
2. Take the kiddos back in time to historic Smith Ranch where they can tour gold mines and farms, take a train ride, and learn all about what life was like in the olden days.
3. Celebrate summer’s end by going out to eat! Take a peek at our directory of where kids eat free in San Diego.
4. Bring the kiddos to enjoy a day at the most picturesque park in San Diego.
5. After your little ones expel all of their energy, head on over to the Japanese Friendship Garden for some peace and tranquility.
6. If your family is looking for some weekend fun, consider taking a day trip up to Los Angeles.
7. Beat the heat and get busy in the kitchen by making some home-made popsicles.
What is your family doing to celebrate the end of summer?
– Erin Lem