It’s autumn in San Diego and the city is full of fall festivals to help us celebrate cooler weather, Halloween and delicious seasonal treats. For free family fun, the Point Loma Fall Festival is one celebration you don’t want to miss! There are pumpkins, animals, carnival rides, food and crafts for the kids. And did we mention that it’s all free and comes with a spectacular ocean view? Read on to learn more about these fun festivities and how you can make the most of your day.
The 11th annual Fall Festival at Point Loma Nazarene University takes place Oct. 25, from 10 a.m. – 2:30 p.m. This free community event hosts a number of awesome fall-themed attractions for both kids and adults, exhibitor booths and even an opportunity to recycle your unwanted electronics. This years’ community partner is Monarch School, which serves San Diego kids impacted by homelessness. If you choose to, you may donate basic items like socks, shoes, and pencils and drop them off at their booth.
What to Do
As far as entertainment, food, and crafts go, this festival’s got it all. Here are a few things we recommend doing to get the most out of your day.
- Petting Zoo – Little animal lovers get a chance to pet and interact with animals like rabbits, chicks and more.
- Pumpkin Patch – Pick out the perfect pumpkin for your family, whether it’s big or small. And the best part: each family gets a free pumpkin!
- Rides – There are all kinds of rides for the kiddos! Choose from small carnival rides, pony rides, horse-drawn carriage rides, a rock wall, slides and jump houses.
- Historical Campus Tours – For adults who are interested in history, the university offers a fascinating tour of the Point Loma Nazarene University campus.
- Crafts – Get creative with craft opportunities galore! There are also story times, musical presentations and fun interactive exhibitor activities.
- Electronics Recycling – Clear your house of unwanted electronics and bring them to the festival! Things like cell phones, microwaves, printers and more, will all be recycled.
- Ice Cream Social – End your day with some yummy ice cream and an opportunity to win an awesome prize.
What to Eat
Food is available for purchase at various vendors and at the onsite restaurant. We recommend checking out “A Taste of Point Loma,” where you can try food samples from local restaurants such as Chick fil-A, Noodles and Company, Oggi’s, and many more. This event gets very busy, so line up early if you’re hungry!
Tips for Planning Your Day
Parking – Get there early! This festival gets more popular every year so you’re going to want to get there before it starts. There are multiple free parking lots on campus and some street parking as well.
Weather – Rain is a definite possibility, so bring an umbrella. The campus is also right by the ocean, making it chilly at times. Pack a sweater or light jacket, especially for the morning hours.
Fall Festival at Point Loma Nazarene University
October 25, 2014
10 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.
Point Loma Nazarene University campus
Will you be attending the Fall Festival this year?
Written and photographed by Marissa Mullen