The end of August is just around the corner, and that can only mean one thing: back to school is upon us. While your kids may be dreading the inevitable start of the school year, we still have one more weekend to say so long to sweet summer. Thankfully, there are a whole bunch of events taking place over this Labor Day weekend that run the gamut from exciting festivals and concerts to low key kickbacks. So whatever it is your family has planned for the weekend, get out there and enjoy it!
1. As if you needed another reason to head to the beach, some of the most masterful sculpture artists will be bringing their A-games to this year’s Sand Sculpting Challenge, which takes place all weekend long.
2. If a low key Labor Day Weekend is more your style, then how about a family staycation to relax and mentally prepare for the back to school madness.
3. Grab your little animal lovers and head down to Old Town’s Dog Days Afternoon Party to spend some quality time with everyone’s favorite furry friends.
5. Take your kiddos for one last splash through their favorite water park to really end summer on a cool note.
6. If your little ones have the need for speed, check out Balboa Park’s Car Toys Exhibit that your car-loving kids are sure to go crazy over.
7. Explore this old-fashioned favorite and have an convenient Labor Day adventure right in your own backyard.
8. Check out your kids’ favorite Disney Jr. stars in action at Octonauts: To Your Stations. With two musical performances and tons of mini musician participation, the fun-filled day will hit all the high notes.
9. Bring your little boat-crazy kids down to the Embarcadero all weekend to see tall ships and other world-traveled vessels decorate the waterfront at the Tall Ship Festival.
10. Experience a Friday night of music al fresco at Jazz in the Park. Pack a picnic and enjoy the sweet sounds of sax on these last summer nights.
11. Before you send the kids back to school, make sure your little fashionistas are looking stylish with a trip to San Diego’s newly renovated shopping center.
12. Calling all talented tots! Visit local kid-friendly art studio on Saturday and let your little ones paint all over the walls…just this once.
13. Grab your girl with the littlest piggies and head over to your favorite pedicure spot for some long-weekend pampering. You deserve it, after all.
14. Introduce your kiddos to some local culture at the Barona Indian Powwow. Little ones will love the Tribal dances, authentic food, and unbelievable handmade crafts.
15. Enjoy a traditional street fair with some international flavor and say so long to those sweet summer days.
What does your family have planned for this Labor Day Weekend? Share it with us in a comment below.