Leaving the house for date night may feel like a distant memory, but we’ve got plenty of ways to have a great time with your partner on a date night at home. Go beyond Netflix and chill with these creative ways to connect. Read on for a list of date ideas that will make you feel like you’re out on the town in San Diego… from the comfort of home.
1. Schedule a virtual date with friends and/or other couples. Relax and catch up with each other as if you were at an actual dinner party. You can even schedule the call for when you're all sitting down to eat in your respective homes.
2. Pick up your favorite craft beer, wine or spirits from a long list of San Diego wineries, breweries and distilleries that are offering booze to go. Enjoy your favorite local drinks responsibly from home with friends on a virtual date as suggestion above, or as a couple.
3. Listen to a Spreckles Organ Concert from home. Every Sunday at 2 p.m. you can enjoy the music of San Diego Civic Organist Raúl Prieto Ramírez as he plays on the largest outdoor musical instrument in the world. These no-cost webcasts are a gift from the City of San Diego and the Spreckels Organ Society.
4. Pick-up or have a DIY meal kit delivered and cook up your favorite restaurant dinner at home.
5. That's amore, alright! Order pizza for takeout or delivery at the best pizza joint in your neighborhood. Bonus points if you pair it with your favorite Italian-influenced film.
6. Acclaimed San Diego chef Brian Malarkey is offering virtual cooking classes! These hour-long, interactive and engaging classes will take you through the creation of delicious meals step-by-step. On May 19th, the class theme is Kid-Friendly Favorites––a perfect choice for parents!
7. Read a book together you've always wanted to read but never had time for. Take turns reading to each other aloud. Keep it local with one of these great books that are set in San Diego.
8. Order this super cool Balboa Park puzzle for curbside pick-up from beloved local toy store Geppetto's. Enjoy some relaxing conversation while you piece together one of San Diego's most iconic locales.
9. Go on a virtual island vacation. Explore nearby Catalina Island's landing page with activities to experience the magic of Catalina from afar. Enjoy live webcam footage of the harbor, underwater views of kelp beds and local fish from the USC Wrigley Catalina Marine Reserve, a Bald Eagle Cam from a perch in Two Harbors and more. Then, dream together about a real trip you'll take to Catalina in the future.
10. More early bird than night owl? Wake up before the kids for a coffee date. Many local coffee shops are offering curbside pick-up of their delicious drinks and pastries. For instance, Nutmeg Bakery & Cafe offers drink, pastry and breakfast menus with orders for pick-up. If your kids are early birds too, turn on the cartoons and escape with your partner to another room for your breakfast date.
11. Paint and drink wine! Pinot's Palette at Liberty Station is offering live, interactive virtual painting classes. Some include paint kits you can pick up and others are use your own paint supplies.
12. Missing your nearby jaunts to Mexico? Alaska Airlines is offering free online "couch getaways" to Mexico, so you can explore Mexican culture, landmarks, music, drinks and more from home.
13. Watch Top Gun, and spot the multiple locations where this iconic movie was filmed right here in San Diego. Want to feel like you're really at a movie theater? Order your favorite movie snacks, from popcorn to soft pretzels from Angelika Film Center, available via UberEats.
14. Get zen with a couples' yoga workout. Vibe Flow Yoga is offering live online workouts via Instagram every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 9 a.m. To join in, simply head to Vibe Flow’s Instagram page, @vibeflow_yoga, and view their live story, or if that time frame doesn’t work for your schedule, try one of the classes posted on their YouTube channel, VibeFlow.
15. Clear some space in the living room and take an online dance class from local studio A Time to Dance. They're offering online classes ranging from Salsa to Blues Dancing to Bachata.