Summer is upon us during unprecedented times, but that doesn’t mean your family can’t still enjoy this kid-favorite season––both out on the town and at home. We’ve rounded-up 30 things you can dive right into, from riding hydrobikes and visiting a secret garden to beach-going and camping. Read on for this must-do list of activities that are sure to make summer full of smiles and walkin’ on sunshine (even while social distancing).
1. Go berry picking and use your bushels of strawberries or blueberries to make a pie or other berry delight. You'll really taste the fruits of your labors.
2. Have a backyard campout! We show you how to pull off a memorable camping experience without leaving home!
3. Make homemade ice cream, even if you don't have an ice cream maker! We show you 6 ways to whip up the dessert of summer.
4. Sign the kids up for a virtual or in-person summer camp. We've got the scoop on San Diego's best summer camp offerings.
5. Rent a Surrey from Holland's Bicycles at Coronado Ferry Landing and cruise around town.
6. Pedal around the bay on Hydrobikes! You'll all feel like you're walking on water during this must-do family adventure.
7. Discover a secret garden. Myrtle Creek Botanical Gardens & Nursery is a hidden gem you'll treasure.
8. Sign your kids up for San Diego County Library's Summer Reading Program. Fun prizes include museum passes and kids meals.
9. Kids climbing the walls? Set up an obstacle course at home that'll keep 'em active and entertained.
10. Get up close and personal and feed dozens of gorgeous, rescued livestock from around the world, including zebras, camels and miniature horses at Children's Nature Retreat.
11. Hit the beach! Read our guide to the best family beaches for all types of adventures and then go catch a wave.
12. Transform your yard into a water wonderland with one of these epic inflatables that will keep kids splashing all summer long.
13. Gather round with the kids and learn 34 cool and wacky facts about San Diego you never knew.
15. Try a sidewalk science project. From experimenting with slime to sketching a shadow, these are sure to put a smile on your kid's face.
16. Go birding at Santee Lakes. Here you can spot over 200 different species of birds! Don't forget the binoculars!
17. Try a new pizza place. We've rounded up San Diego's best pizza delivery in your neck of the woods.
18. Learn some new skateboarding tricks at these rad skateparks for lil' shredders.
19. Got a birthday boy or girl celebrating this summer? See out guide to 8 virtual birthday party ideas especially for San Diego kids.
20. Head to Sweetwater Bike Park to work on those free-wheelin' skills.
21. Go on a local camping adventure at one of these fantastic SoCal campsites.
23. Kids outgrown the kiddie pool? Here are 13 clever ways to upcycle your kiddie pool for new entertainment.
24. Grab some epic eats by catching up with these amazing food trucks that tour San Diego to dish out delish cuisine.
25. Too hot to play outside? Try one of our favorite board games for every age and stage.
26. It's time to roar back in to San Diego Safari Park––where you can behold new platypuses, a baby giraffe and baby rhinos!
27. The San Diego Zoo just reopened and there are plenty of animals waiting to greet you! Don't miss seeing Hippo calf Amahle!
28. Look no further than the sidewalk to entertain kids with these cheap sidewalk activities that'll get the kids outdoors.
29. Sink your teeth into Krispy Kreme's new Dessert Doughnuts Collection to sweeten any summer morning! Flavors include Banana Pudding, Coconut Cake and Mississippi Mud Pie.
30. Have an outdoor movie night! Here are 21 ways to host cinema under the stars.
featured image: Beth Shea