Summer is San Diego’s love language! After a full year of social distancing (and a few extra at-home tantrums), it’s time to get out and about and make 2021 the most epic summer ever. We’ve rounded up a must-do list of activities that you do today. Grab the sunscreen and get ready for a fun-filled, adventure-soaked summer.
1. Go berry picking and use your bushels of strawberries or blueberries to make a pie or other berry delight. You'll really taste the fruits of your labors.
2. All aboard! Visit Old Town Model Railroad Depot with your little conductor and preview a highly detailed model railroad layout up close.
3. Spend a day at a luxurious resort-style pool that's open to the public! Here are 16 San Diego pools offering day passes.
4. Take advantage of warmer nights and enjoy these fun after-dark activities with kids.
5. Enjoy a chill visit to a San Diego brewery that's kid-friendly.
6. Pedal around the bay on Hydrobikes! You'll all feel like you're walking on water during this must-do family adventure.
7. Discover a secret garden. Myrtle Creek Botanical Gardens & Nursery is a hidden gem you'll treasure.
8. Sign your kids up for San Diego County Library's Summer Reading Program. Fun prizes include museum passes and kids meals.
9. Need an at-home activity? Set up an obstacle course at home that'll keep 'em active and entertained.
10. Try out a beach you haven't been to before. Here's our list of top beaches for every adventure.
11. Hit the water park! Read our guide to the best family water parks and splash pads.
12. Transform your yard into a water wonderland with one of these epic inflatables that will keep kids splashing all summer long.
13. Gather round with the kids and learn 34 cool and wacky facts about San Diego you never knew.
15. Skip the juice boxes and stay refreshed with an ice-cold glass of homemade lemonade instead. We'll get you started with these 10 modern twist recipes.
16. Put your head in the clouds in these California treehouse rentals! We help you satisfy your wanderlust and indulge in your childhood dreams without ever leaving the state.
17. Try meatless Monday. We've rounded up San Diego's plant-based restaurants in your neck of the woods.
18. Learn some new skateboarding tricks at these rad skateparks for lil' shredders.
19. Score a hole in one! We've rounded up the best donut shops in San Diego.
20. Head to Sweetwater Bike Park to work on those free-wheelin' skills.
21. Go on a local camping adventure at one of these fantastic SoCal campsites.
22. Have a classic 80s style summer. Think Stranger Things (sans the whole upside-down world!)
23. Kids outgrown the kiddie pool? Here are 13 clever ways to upcycle your kiddie pool for new entertainment.
24. Grab some epic eats by catching up with these amazing San Diego food halls to dish out delish cuisine.
25. Too hot to play outside? Try one of our favorite board games for every age and stage.
26. It's time to roar back in to San Diego Safari Park––where you can behold new platypuses, a baby giraffe and baby rhinos!
27. Follow these 20 secret tips and make your next trip to LEGOLAND the best one yet.
28. Take advantage of the long summer days and nights with an outdoor movie. Check out our picks for where to catch a movie under the stars.
29. Become a weekend warrior and take a road trip your kids will love.
30. Host an outdoor picnic for your favorite people.
––Aimee Della Bitta and Beth Shea