Change up your pasta routine with these spinach and ricotta stuffed shells. This easy recipe also lends itself well to using up spare ingredients in your fridge. Try adding items like cooked ham, bacon, chicken breast, mushrooms or other veggies. After making a batch of these stuffed shells leave us a comment below to tell us how they turn out.
4 tbsp salted butter
2 shallots, chopped
5 c packed fresh baby spinach
1 large egg
1/2 cup ricotta cheese
1 package large pasta shells
salt and pepper
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
2. Melt butter in a large frying pan and add shallots. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, for 3-4 minutes or until shallots are soft.
3. Add all the spinach to the pan, salt lightly, and cover with a lid for 2-3 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, boil pasta in salted water for 8-9 minutes or recommended cooking time.
5. In a large serving bowl, whisk together egg and ricotta. Set aside.
6. Using a pair of cooking tongs, turn spinach in the pan until it is wilted, but not completely cooked. Remove from heat.
7. Drain pasta and add to ricotta mixture. Toss well to coat. Add spinach to the pasta and combine well.
8. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper as needed and serve at once.