What do you get when you merge two really tasty kid-friendly dishes? Taco salad pizza! Catherine McCord of Weelicious dreamt up this delicious dish that is incredibly adaptable. Use either homemade or storebought pizza dough and let the kids in on the fun adding toppings to the pizza. Catherine recommends making this dinner in a cast iron skillet if you prefer thick crust or a half sheet pan if you like your pizza on the thin side.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
1 pound pizza dough, at room temperature
1/2 cup salsa
1 cup refried beans
2 cups cheddar, mozzarella and/or Monterrey Jack cheese
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small red onion, diced
1 package plant based ground meat
1 1/2 teaspoon taco seasoning
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup romaine lettuce, washed and chopped
1 avocado, pitted and diced
1/4 cup sour cream
2 tablespoons cilantro
1. Preheat oven to 425 F.
2. Lightly grease a sheet pan with olive oil and stretch the dough to fit the size of the pan (about 16″ x 11″). Alternatively you can use a large circular pizza pan or 12-15 inch cast iron skillet.
3. In a medium bowl stir the salsa and refried beans until thoroughly combined. Spread on top of pizza dough and top with grated cheese.
4. Bake pizza for 18-20 minutes or until cheese is golden and bubbly.
5. While pizza is baking heat a large sauté pan over medium/high heat, add 1 tbsp olive oil, add red onion, plant based protein starter, taco seasoning and salt. Break apart with spatula and cook until moisture has evaporated and plant based meat browns, about 12 minutes.
6. Remove pizza from oven, top with plant based meat, lettuce, avocado, sour cream* and cilantro and other optional ingredients.
* for decorative fun place sour cream in the corner of a small zipper bag. Use scissors to cut a small hole in the corner of the bag and twist to resemble a piping bag. Drizzle the pizza in a zip zag pattern.
This post originally appeared on Weelicious.