It doesn’t get much easier than this 5-ingredient taco salad from the food blog, Sweet Phi. If you dare go above the 5 ingredients feel free to sub in or add your own toppings suited to your kiddos’ taste buds. Either way, we promise this dinner will be one of the easiest and tastiest you’ve ever made.
1 lb ground turkey, extra lean
1 cup salsa, divided
6-8 cups romaine (or lettuce of choice)
1 cup tortilla chips
1 cup shredded cheese (I use Mexican blend cheese or pepperjack)
Notes from the Chef:
• If making this salad for eating at a later time just cook the ground turkey and salsa and store it in an air tight container in the fridge until ready to use.
• This salad is good with both warm or cold ground turkey
• Alternatively you could use slow cooker salsa chicken as a topping (just put salsa and chicken in a crock pot on low for 6 hours and then shred when done).
1. Pour ½ cup salsa in a large frying pan and add in the ground turkey and cook it, breaking it up as you cook it. Cook for 15 minutes, or until the turkey is cooked through.
2. In a large bowl (or 4 small bowls) divide out the lettuce.
3. When turkey is done cooking spoon out on top of salad, pour remaining salsa on top of ground turkey, then add the cheese and tortilla chips (I like to crush some of the tortilla chips as I add them on top of the salad).
4. Mix the salad and enjoy!
Do your kids like taco salads? Did you make any additions or substitutions to this recipe for your family?