We have our dinner standbys when we need to whip up a meal in a pinch, but what about a no-fail dessert? Adapted from Smitten Kitchen (aka our Editorial Director’s go-to site for everything easy cooking), this flourless chocolate cake is everything you’ve ever wanted in a dessert. Rich, delectable and seriously easy to make, you will lean on this recipe for birthdays, mom coffee dates and every moment in-between that requires some cake.
6 tablespoons of butter (3/4 cup)
4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
3 large eggs, separated
1/3 cup light brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon of sea salt
To finish (optional):
a light dusting of powdered sugar
an array of berries (we like strawberries and raspberries)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 6-inch round springfoam pan on all sides.
2. In a small saucepan melt the butter (it’ll take anywhere around 2-4 minutes). Turn off the heat and then stir in the chocolate until it is melted, smooth and incorporated. Let the mixture cool.
3. With an electric mixer or with a whisk beat the egg yolks, brown sugar and vanilla together. Mix in the butter chocolate mixture.
4. In a separate bowl, mix the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold the egg whites into the chocolate mixture. You will still want to see portions of the egg whites so don’t over mix.
5. Bake in the oven 25 minutes. A skewer inserted in the center of the cake should come out clean.
6. Let the cake cool for about 10 minutes. Invert or loosen the springform pan on a plate and add the optional finishing ingredients. Enjoy!
Have you made this cake before? What is your go-to chocolate cake recipe? Share your thoughts in the comments below!