The laid back nature of summer is the perfect time to strengthen families while having fun together. Now that July is upon us, it’s time to really celebrate summer. From the 4th of July to water play, here are 31 family activities to keep your kiddos busy all month long.
1. Gather your neighbors and plan a kiddie parade.
2. Go to a drive-in movie.
3. Treat yourself to this 20-foot water slide and you'll be the coolest neighbors on the block.
4. Bike to your local donut shop and pick up a treat.
5. Hit the beach and make a day of doing different family activities at the sand and shore.
6. Create an outdoor coffee shop that's inspired by water play.
7. Go fishing.
8. Have a family joke night. Need some funny inspiration? We have 155 hilarious jokes for you.
9. Play in the mud.
10. Fire up the BBQ and make grilled pizzas, Mexican corn with avocado butter or pineapple shrimp skewers.
11. Get creative by making Independence Day crafts and decoration.
12. Go to a professional baseball game. Most leagues have super fun kids' days.
13. Host a glow-in-the-dark outdoor summer party.
14. Visit your local planetarium and go star-gazing.
16. Invite some friends and host an outdoor movie night.
17. Pitch a tent and camp in the backyard.
18. Bob for apples, milk a cow and pin the tail on the pig. All these activities can be part of your family's farm-themed day.
19. Celebrate 4th of July by making patriotic desserts!
20. Go to the movies. Here's how to take a trip to the big screen for just $1 this summer.
21. Have some fun in the kitchen with these 12 creative cooking games.
22. Host a scavenger hunt at the beach.
23. Make your hometown even more awesome with one of these family activities.
24. Host a family writing night. Here are six ideas to get the pencils moving and words on paper.
25. Make your own musical instruments and have a family band night.
26. Get crafty with paper. Here are 29 easy and awesome paper crafts for kids.
27. Channel your inner-STEM abilities with these 39 easy science experiments.
28. Visit your local nature center.
29. From running clubs to coding classes, participate in one of these free (or super cheap) national summer programs for kids.
30. Toss the boxed packages and make one of these 29 recipes that will transform mac and cheese.
31. Put on the bathing suits and play in the sprinklers.
—Leah R. Singer
Feature photo: iStock