With September and fall upon us, it’s time to take your family time to a new level. From apple picking to playing in leaves, to crafts and fall-themed baking, there are so many ways for your family to spend time together. Here are 30 fun family activities that will sure to strengthen the family bond during the autumnal season.
1. Attend a community Labor Day parade.
2. Eat two servings of sweets on Sept. 4, national Eat an Extra Dessert Day! Need some ideas? Here are some easy baking recipes to make.
3. Make a fall bucket list. Be sure to include things like jumping in a pile of leaves, visiting an orchard and go on a hayride.
4. Look at airplanes flying overhead and learn a few facts about the Wright Brothers.
5. With school officially back in session, keep the kiddos busy in the afternoons with these fun after school activities.
6. Make a simple gift for grandma and grandpa in honor of Grandparent's Day on Sept. 8.
7. Decorate your house with fall decor with these easy fall crafts for kids.
8. Take a road trip to see colorful fall leaves.
9. Attend a local fall festival.
10. Hang your American flag up on Sept. 11 for Patriot's Day.
11. Go to your local library and check out fall-themed books.
12. Ahoy matey! Learn to talk like a pirate with these 51 phrases, just in time for Talk Like a Pirate Day on Sept. 19.
13. Go apple picking at your local orchard.
14. Not sure what to do with your bucket full of apples from the orchard-picking adventure? Here are 11 creative ways to play with your fruit.
15. Make a homemade pizza on Sept. 20, National Pepperoni Pizza Day.
16. Channel your kids' STEAM abilities with these awesome fall-themed science experiments.
17. Celebrate the Sept. 23 Autumnal Equinox by cooking up one of these feasts from around the world.
18. Play one of these cool flashlight games during one of the longer fall nights.
19. Take family fall photos in a pumpkin patch, on top of leaves, or in an apple orchard.
20. Put away the summer clothes and unpack the long-sleeves, boots and flannel.
21. Make a fall-themed breakfast. We suggest these baked apples with oatmeal.
22. Go to a football game. If your city doesn't have a major team, go to a high school or middle school team game.
23. With fall officially starting this month, it's time to get out the slow cooker. Here are 18 easy crock pot recipes to try this September.
24. Make a fire outdoors with s'mores and stare at the stars.
25. Write and send a card for Rosh Hashanah, the Jewish new year that begins at sundown on Sept. 29.
26. Introduce your wee one to autumn with DIY sensory activities.
27. Pumpkin spice is back! Get the kids baking with with these 24 delicious pumpkin recipes.
28. Gather all the broken crayons in your house and try one of these 14 crafts for upcycled crayons.
29. Drink apple cider and enjoy a cider donut.
30. Start thinking about Halloween costumes with the spooky holiday only one month away.
—Leah R. Singer