With Labor Day and back to school on the horizon, summer is slowly coming to a close. But that doesn’t mean you can’t make the most of your family activities this August. Get ready for family fun because we’ve rounded up 31 fun things to do with the family this last month of summer.
1. Visit a national park. There are more than 400 national parks across the country. Take a road trip and find one to visit that’s close to your hometown.
2. Pencils, binders, notebooks, oh my! Get your back-to-school supply shopping done now so you’ll be ready when school starts.
3. Spend a night outside on Aug. 15 and gaze at the full moon.
4. Get your camera ready for the first day of school photos. From DIY props and photo frames, here are a few cool ideas for your pictures.
5. August 16 is National Tell a Joke Day. These jokes will have you and your kiddos laughing up a storm.
6. Go fly a kite at your local park.
7. While the kiddos are still home from school, have a family movie night for every remaining night of summer. Here are a few movie suggestions to get you started.
8. Try out a new recipe for a few nights a week during August. Need some inspiration? Here are 50+ easy summer recipes.
9. Start back-to-school shopping with these awesome online consignment stores.
10. Make homemade lemonade, but shake things up with one of these 10 modern twists on the traditional drink.
11. Start planning your Labor Day weekend fun. Here are a few ideas to get your plans underway.
12. Practice random acts of kindness. Need some ideas? Here are 76 ways you and the kids can pay it forward.
13. Schedule your family eye exams. If it turns out your little one needs glasses, these online stores will have you seeing great deals.
14. It’s baseball season! Take in a major or minor league game in your city.
15. Keep the summer reading game strong with books from your local library. Or join this audiobook club, which is perfect for road trip adventures.
16. Start a new back to school tradition. From a show and tell dinner on the first night to interviewing your young scholar, here are 21 ideas to inspire your family traditions.
17. Play in the water! Head to a creek, the beach, a pool, or simply play in the sprinklers.
18. Have some backyard fun. From pitching a tent to collecting bugs, here are 55 ideas to inspire imaginations.
19. Don’t throw away your empty egg cartons. Get crafty with these 20 creative ideas.
20. Try out one of these activity kits to keep your kiddo busy this August.
21. Stop by your local fire station and ask for a tour. If the firefighters aren’t fighting fires, chances are they’ll give you a brief tour and may even let your little one sit in the truck.
22. Make your own back to school supplies with these Pinterest-inspired ideas.
23. Get your kiddo equipped for school with a new backpack. Here are 23 of the coolest new backpacks on the shelves.
24. Go beyond FaceTime and text messaging by writing actual letters to family and friends. Get some cute stationery and don’t forget the stamps.
25. Aug. 4 is National Chocolate Chip Cookie Day. Bake cookies together and deliver them to neighbors for the occasion.
26. Splurge at Starbucks with one of these six summer drinks on their “secret” menu.
27. Plan a last-minute road trip before school starts. Here are a few car games and toys to keep the kids busy on the road.
28. Have a few family dinner nights where the kids pick the meal you and you chose the conversation.
29. Get crafty with paper. From beautiful mermaids to garlands and festive hats, here are 29 crafts that spotlight all-things paper.
30. Stay cool by snacking on a popsicle. Here are 20 cool treats that are easy and delicious.
31. Kick your lunchbox game up a notch with these hacks to ensure a smooth school year.
—Leah R. Singer