Editor’s note: We’re making every effort to provide you with the most up-to-date information. However, sometimes closures occur at the last minute due to circumstances beyond our control, such as the spread of Covid-19. We highly recommend that you call ahead before you pack your kids pack your kids (and all those snacks, and diapers…) and haul them across town. Stay safe!
If the kids are looking to you to make spring break 2020 like no other, we’ve got you covered! There are tons of ways to keep the kids busy during spring break from special museum days to food trucks to epic hikes. We’ve got all the things to do with kids during spring break in Austin, Texas right here—so get planning!
1. Head to Thinkery to explore. We love this museum for kids of all ages, especially Train Town and Our Backyard. They have extended hours during spring break and even a drop-off camp.
2. Hike to the highest point in Austin, Mt. Bonnell. At 775 feet, this spot will give you views of the city like no other!
3. Celebrate St. Patrick's Day at Pioneer Farms. This annual celebration kicks off spring break week and will have everyone wearing the green!
4. Whether you are there for the pig races, mutton busting, fried Oreos or rides, Rodeo Austin is the place to be during spring break.
5. Now is the perfect time to head to the Zilker Botanical Garden to see the Very Hungry Caterpillar 50th Birthday Celebration exhibit before it flies away on March 22.
6. Head to the Williamson Museum for free courthouse tours. These happen on Fridays and Saturday and are free!
7. Kids tired of being cooped up? Spend the afternoon at Jumpstreet where kids can jump on the trampolines, ride the bull, play dodgeball and try your luck with the arcade games.
8. Make it a mural day! Austin is full of super-cool street art that's just waiting for your Instagram account. Take the kids around and pose in front of some gorgeous walls!
9. Celebrate the end of the week at Toybrary. Friday afternoons from 1-6 p.m. are happy hour where admission is just $5.
10. Sunday mornings at 11 a.m. bring free skate lessons to Playland Skate Center and they are open for special spring break hours all week.
11. You know you've always wanted to visit the Cathedral of Junk, why not plan a visit there during spring break? You can teach the kids a little bit about how to "reduce, reuse, recycle."
12. If inflatables are your game, then Loco-Motion Inflatable Play is the place to be. This spot offers 14,000 square feet of play guaranteed to tire them out.
13. Make it a park day. Pease Park has swings, picnic tables and an interactive art installation called Yippee Ki Yay! by artist Patrick Dougherty.
14. Cool off at an underground adventure at Inner Space Cavern. Discovered during the construction of Interstate 35, the cavern is over five miles long, making it the fourth largest cavern in Texas.
15. Make it a road trip day and head to Waco. Prime spot to stop is the Magnolia Market at the Silos where there are food trucks and a massive lawn for kids to run around. Keep in mind it is closed on Sundays.
16. Play a round of mini golf at Peter Pan Golf. Open since 1948, this spot is a step back in time and there are two courses to choose from if you want to extend play.
17. Tour Lake Bird Lake on a bike. That's right—Austin waterbikes are the way to see this beautiful spot and a great way to get some exercise.
18. Make it a staycation. The Omni Barton Creek Resort & Spa is the perfect place to bunker down with the kids for some pool time.
19. If all else fails, make it a museum day. There are tons of great options for families in the Austin area, perfect for spring break adventure.
Featured photo: iStock